Great Western Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by ldipadova, Oct 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ldipadova

ldipadova New Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to find a little more information on this family heirloom that I recently received. I can't seem to find any information on a Great Western pocket watch company or the associated Gibraltar case.

It doesn't work and so I would like any advice on where I might have it repaired.

Thank you for any help!

Movement markings: Great Western; S/N 332750; (21?) Jewels; SWISS; Quartier Frerls; Two 2 Adjustment; Patent Depose; R-A; S-F

Case markings: Gibraltar, Guaranteed Gold Filled; Warranted 25 years; 4320045 (hand carved - RG 7-4-24)

This is a link to the photos. Please let me know if you have any problems accessing them.
    iCloud Photo Sharing

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    #2 musicguy, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Hi and welcome to the NAWCC Forum

Moving to European section to identify this Swiss watch.

Your watch is what we call a Swiss fake. It may be over 100 years old
    but it was made to look like an American RR watch but it's not.
    Unfortunately you can see where one of the fake jewels is missing
    there is nothing underneath.
    Even though it's a family heirloom it may not be able to be serviced.

Read this article about these Swiss fake watches.

Rob

3. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to this message board. If you search for "Quartier Freres" on the Internet, you will find other examples of your watch and its relatives, including ones for sale. You'll also find this thread about Quartier Freres watches on this MB. I May Have a Swiss Fake

Because your watch is a family heirloom, it has a special value to you and your family that it has for no else. But for that special value, I would discourage you from spending anything restoring the watch. The watch's movement is missing parts and is in rough shape. The watch is missing its bow (the hoop over the crown to which a watch chain could be attached). If you could find someone who would restore the watch, which may be difficult, restoration likely would cost $300-$1000, depending on how many other problems the watch has that I have not seen. The watch, fully restored, probably wouldn't be worth $100 to knowledgable collectors because the movement was originally a very cheap one, tarted up to imitate a higher quality movement. That's why watches like this are often called "Swiss Fakes."

If you are determined to restore your watch, I suggest that you do nothing more than get an appropriate bow. The watch won't work, but it will look as good as it would if fully restored. I'd then cherish the watch as a non-working heirloom, possibly even displaying it, e.g. on a pocket watch stand. If I were really determined to get it working, I'd buy a good working Quartier Freres watch with an identical movement, and have a watchmaker swap that movement in for the one in your watch. The "donor" you buy could have a bow to replace the one missing from your watch. If you search for such a donor on eBay and "save" the search, a good donor should come up for sale in the next few years. Perhaps someone who reads this thread has one and will reach out to you.

4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was hoping to see a British Great Western Railway (GWR) watch
    Unfortunately it is not