Graphite Powder

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Bod, Oct 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Could this be used for main springs, in place of oil?
    I'm thinking of the powder used for lubricating door locks, as it would not dry out, but would need to be evenly spread to start with, and would keep the coils apart, preventing suction.

Bod

2. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm using graphite with synthetic 5-20 Pennzoil Platinum motor oil mixed into a thick slurry, so far its working great. Since the springs are raw steel you need some small amount of oil to prevent rust. No sticksion vacuum with this graphite slurry mix. Powdered teflon would probably give similar results but have not tried it, anything to prevent the coils from full flat contact should stop the sticksion vacuum.

Ideas for reducing friction

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Graphite makes a real mess, there are much better lubes for main springs.

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm "lifting" a quote from John Hubby on this topic
    Here's the source thread: Mobil 1â„¢ 15W-50 full synthetic oil at Walmart. $6.95/qt.

I know that some folks here add powered Teflon to various lubricants. It tends to settle out so you have to get it back into suspension before you apply it.

Like Kevin, I don't think I would use Graphite. At least not by itself. Wayne apparently has good results using it with an oil carrier. A good, high viscosity Synthetic Motor Oil should work fine. You can try to improve upon it with graphite or Teflon additives but the question becomes, "How much is enough?".

Good luck,

Bruce

5. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For sure it can be messy. Best way I've found to get the graphite power out the tubes is just tap it against a mixing cup and let if fall out with at most a very slow squeeze. Otherwise you can make a graphite cloud! Then drop the oil into the graphite, mix. Handle spring with gloves after applying the mix.

Worked in an oil refinery and the pipe fitters used a product called "never seez" to prevent pipes and bolts from fusing together even at high temperature. Never seez is grease full of graphite and other finely ground metals depending on the type. The stuff works. Anyway the saying goes if you get it on you don't bother trying to rub it off, the spot only gets bigger. Takes abrasive soap to get it off, lol.

Another use I have for graphite is to mix graphite and silicone oil to lube model helicopter tail rotor drive belts preventing static sparks. The helicopter tail boom is a picture of a Van de Graaff generator.

6. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I think I will go with Wayne's method of mixing it with oil, trying to get the best of both worlds.
    I have JUF 400 day clock which is showing a tendency to spring bind, regulated to good time, then a few weeks later running slow, speeding up again...
    Time to get the winder out.
    Reading the links supplied, it looks as if I've opened a discussion, very similar to asking how to sharpen a chisel on a woodwork forum!

Bod

Wayne A likes this.
  7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us know how it goes. That stuff is nearly impossible to get off once you use it, so be very sure you want to go that route.

8. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is what the graphite mix I made looks like painted on a spring can before I pressed the lid on. On non porous surfaces it wipes off fairly easily.

20190928_165903.jpg

9. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've just been given some more advice regarding Graphite powder..................Don't sneeze....

Bod

10. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Solid advice, and when I have dry powder in a mixing cup I hold my breath until I add the oil!