Graphite Powder or Synthetic Oil for Barreled Mainspring??

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by BLKBEARD, Feb 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm servicing a French Clock with smallish Barreled Mainsprings. When I opened the Timeside Barrel I found it full of Dry Graphite.

The dry graphite seems to have worked very well in this clock. I'm wondering if I should order graphite & return it to what seems to have worked well in the past, or use synthetic oil as I usually do?

Most of my repairs have been on American Clocks, and this is the first I've encountered which was lubed with Graphite.

My brain is sayin............If it aint broke don't fix it...........stay with graphite.

But there are repairers on this board far more experienced than me. Pictured is the strikeside barrel prior to dis-assembly.

BOULLE CLOCK 4 008.JPG french clock movement 111717 009.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Graphite works, but it's very messy and not much better than other options. I'd avoid it.

3. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Victor Talking Machine Company recommended a mixture of Vaseline and graphite for their phonograph mainsprings.

I'm just sayin'...

4. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gosh, that was LONG ago, bangster!

5. Willys_1

Willys_1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Male
    Project Manager
    Pleasant View, Utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would avoid it. There is no way it will stay contained in the spring barrels. It will stick to other areas on the movement that have oil, and clump up. It will ruin the cleaning fluid in your ultrasonic cleaner, so clean the parts thoroughly before putting in the ultrasonic.

6. Willys_1

Willys_1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Male
    Project Manager
    Pleasant View, Utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've worked on several Victrolas. They are terrible! The grease is thick, nasty and gets everywhere. I've worked on old truck axles that weren't that bad.

7. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Donor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd avoid the graphite. French movement springs are not very powerful, being around 0.30mm thick, so a light lubricant is best. Personally I use a Moebius semi liquid grease 8200 on them, and find this suits these very well. A very fine coating.

8. Ravens_Time

Ravens_Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Nice clock BB! I started working on Victrolas before I fell into clocks. Good thing clocks are a lot smaller. I have 3 Victrolas and too many clocks to count. I have a tube of dry graphite on my bench and always thought it might come in handy one day. Any sign of it coming out of the barrel and contaminating the movement?

9. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoever put in the Graphite put a small piece of scotch tape over the notch in the barrel cap where you pry off the cap.
    This seems to have kept the Graphite well contained and I didn't see any leakage.

10. Ravens_Time

Ravens_Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Interesting. I bow before the experts but seems like it might have a use. Let us know what you decide.

Pat

11. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Use it in your car door locks. It doesn't freeze :D

12. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never used the hole in the barrel cap to pry it off, just don't want to risk deforming either the cap or the barrel. Hitting the end of the arbor with something relatively soft (I use a rubber hammer) works much better.

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #13 Willie X, Feb 14, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    Keystone light MS lube, or any good clock oil, is good on French springs, or any other light weight clock springs. I haven't seen where graphite is any benefit. As everyone else has mentioned, it's just to messey.

Good graphite should be so fine that it feels like talcum powder when rubbed between your fingers.

Willie X

14. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PB has a graphite spray that looks interesting, but I've never fully recovered from my own Victrola spring adventure and thus loathe graphite.

15. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    I had a customer that bought a clock that had been sprayed with some sort of graphite lube instead of WD-40. What a nightmare.

On the bright side, the graphite settled to the bottom of my cleaner fairly quickly.

16. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went with the Powdered Graphite.
    That's what was in it, and seemed to have worked well. The worst comments concerning Graphite seemed to be that its messy. My main business is heating repair, graphite doesn't compare to some of the messes I'm used to. (Messy is a subjective term)
    The movement is in nice condition, whoever serviced it last did a nice job. No idea who or when that was, as my client inherited the clock. It came to me with a broken suspension spring, and a broken bell arm. likely it was transported with the pendulum attached.

I was tempted to just repair the broken parts, and not break it down & do a full servicing. But I know it hasn't run for at least 10 years. This is the movement from the French Boulle Clock.

17. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Working w/ Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You had several good options. One thing is certain, although it may escape the barrel, it won't gum up over time.

18. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Donor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be 100% sure that graphite was not put in this at manufacture. Just personally I would have avoided it! :)
    It is not as mobile like oil, and is not protective against corrosion.

19. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can also be 100% sure that synthetic oil wasn't put in at the time of manufacture

20. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I've seen several Chelsea clocks that I'm pretty sure came with graphite in the barrels. No hole in their barrel covers though.
    Willie X