Grandparents' Ansonia needs identification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by blueloon, Mar 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the one that started my interest in clocks. I remember it sitting at the top of my grandparents' stairs in New York when we'd go to visit every summer. My mother gave it to my brother several years ago and it turns out that he and my sister-in-law didn't like the ticking and "bonging" so they put it on a shelf in the garage and forgot about it. I asked to take pictures of it for research and they gave it to me to take home. :excited: So, I'm asking for help to identify it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ansonia.jpg dial.jpg side.jpg sitter.jpg

It is 17" long (handle to handle) and 11" high without the sitter. I saw the sitter on clock #159 in Tran's American Clocks Vol. 1, but I don't have Tran's Ansonia book. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The clock is the Sicily, shown in Tran's Ansonia from the 1894 catalogue, and possibly offered a few years either side of that year. It is shown without the topper, which is called the Harpist. The toppers could be purchased separately.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Steven has given you the answer you needed. I am so happy that you rescued the clock from its garage shelf - just look at those beautiful side pieces and imagine how they and the figure and the rest of the case would look if cleaned and carefully re-gilded! Dial looks in good condition, nice visible escapement, I am quite envious!

Maybe you could post a picture after the clean?

JTD

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just a friendly word of caution, don't carry it by those side ornament "handles". Always remove the pendulum and carry it with your fingers curled underneath the bottom of the case. Nice heirloom. Thanks for sharing it.

5. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info, guys! I wasn't sure if the topper went with it because I never saw it on the clock when it was in my parents' house (just sat on another shelf), but I found an old picture of my grandparents with the clock and topper in the background. The dial is in good shape except for a small hairline crack at the 8 (doesn't even go all of the way through). The harpist is missing her thumb and index finger from her left hand (no clue when that happened -- it doesn't look fresh).

I'm not real sure how to begin cleaning. I don't want to ruin anything, so I'll research as much as I can before I touch it. And I won't carry it by the "handles" (I don't trust things like that on any clock). I vacuumed and blew out the dust and put it on my shelf and it wants really bad to run, but it needs a good clean so it will get that before I let it run very long.

Thanks again for the info. I'll make sure that the grandparents' picture and all info moves in the family with the clock from now on.