grandfather Ridgeway clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by harte50, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harte50

harte50 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:

Hello, this is my first time doing this...not too computer savy.

I have a Ridgeway Grandfather clock. The serial # is 121576 and model is 112. I was told the first 2 #s of the serial # represtents the year it was made.
    Does that mean it was made in 1912? I know it is old and has been in the family since I can remember. I do not know how to find out answers and am hoping
    I can get some help from all of you. Thank you, Rebecca H
  2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ridgeway was manufactured from mid 1960's, to sometime in late 90's I believe, could the last two numbers be the date, (76)?
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Semi-retired - with a degree in Creative Writing
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This is my first time posting since the forum website was totally revamped (yet again). (Have to say I'm not fond of the new version/site at all).

Anyway, if the original submitter of this thread is still following it, here's my reply:

Sometimes the year of manufacture was incorporated into the serial number and/or the year of the model's debut incorporated into the model number, but not for the earlier Ridgeways with three-digit model numbers. By the time they moved to the four-digit model numbers the year could be determined much more easily. For the three-digit model numbers, you kind of have to rely on old catalogs, of which I have a few (ca. 1967, ca. 1972, 1977, and 1997).

Model 112, also known as "The Wakefield," appeared in the 1972 and 1977 catalogs (but not the 1967 catalog, even though there were already model numbers sequentially higher than 112 by that point...go figure). In 1977 its suggested retail price ranged from $999 to $1399, depending on which type of movement was included. (But as for current value, keep in mind that new clocks are like new cars--their value greatly decreases the moment they leave the showroom floor, and it takes many years for them to re-climb in value. Some never make it back).

If I can figure out how to attach images to this post via this new-fangled forum, I'll attach a couple of images from the 1977 catalog.

Enjoy your clock!

Ridgeway model 112 Wakefield 01.jpg Ridgeway model 112 Wakefield 02.jpg