Grandfather clock

daktana

Jun 4, 2006
This weekend I found a great looking GF clock at an even better price! I have always wanted a GF clock. The problem at this point is to find the remaining parts to complete it. It is a Barwick Clock (Howard Miller) model 4875, serial number 76562, it has a triple chime chain driven movement, which appears working and in good order. The movement indicates it is a UW32/8B, also has 77918 on it, which I believe means it is a Urgos. I need weights and pendulum. I think the weights should be Time 4.5lbs, Strike 4.5lbs and Chime 7.5lbs. Also, I think the pendulum should be a wood stick at 80cm. The suspension spring and leader are there. Question; where is the best place (inexpensive) to obtain these? Must the weights be exactly 4.5 lbs? Is it better to find shells and then try to fill with the weights? When it says to find a pendulum at 80cm, what should I be looking for, should it only be for a Urgos? Does the serial number help identify when and where made?
Any suggestions would be helpful, it isnt the greatest GF clock, but sure looks good to me. I'll work on the cabinet for the time being. Thanks:thumb:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
daktana said:
This weekend I found a great looking GF clock at an even better price! I have always wanted a GF clock. The problem at this point is to find the remaining parts to complete it. It is a Barwick Clock (Howard Miller) model 4875, serial number 76562, it has a triple chime chain driven movement, which appears working and in good order. The movement indicates it is a UW32/8B, also has 77918 on it, which I believe means it is a Urgos. I need weights and pendulum. I think the weights should be Time 4.5lbs, Strike 4.5lbs and Chime 7.5lbs. Also, I think the pendulum should be a wood stick at 80cm. The suspension spring and leader are there. Question; where is the best place (inexpensive) to obtain these? Must the weights be exactly 4.5 lbs? Is it better to find shells and then try to fill with the weights? When it says to find a pendulum at 80cm, what should I be looking for, should it only be for a Urgos? Does the serial number help identify when and where made?
Any suggestions would be helpful, it isnt the greatest GF clock, but sure looks good to me. I'll work on the cabinet for the time being. Thanks:thumb:
Hi, and welcome to the board! Your grandfather should be fairly easy to get going for you. According to my notes, your weights should be as you note. It's easier to buy the weights finished, and yes it's fairly important to get them right. It think it's fairly modern, 1977. Your Pendulum length is about right, and you should order a 32 inch with a 4 or 4.5 inch bob. The parts you need are not cheap (even at wholesale) and you can figure on spending around $120.00 plus shipping. You can get your needed parts here.