Grandfather Clock

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
I bought this at an estate auction, unable to find a model number, what can you tell me about it? Thank you

A3565FC4-0E7D-458E-AB90-73A491775104_4_5005_c.jpeg 88492694-3DC5-4CF8-8A8F-2FFD1BF27F6E_4_5005_c.jpeg 3DD3446F-5C08-4DA2-B9C6-FA09F86E6948_4_5005_c.jpeg B3F37758-71A5-4170-8850-45E728DB3F43_4_5005_c.jpeg

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Should be 4 digits on the back.
Nice clock, Willie X
I looked on the back but can't find any digits, all I was able to find is the mfg and serial number by pulling the top out and finding it on the inside back wall

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Based on the identification plate inside the clock - it was made in 1970.

Andy Dervan

• Love
Reactions: 4CindyP

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Based on the identification plate inside the clock - it was made in 1970.

Andy Dervan
Thank you so much! Now I need to locate a manual, to instruct me on how to fix the chime, only works for 45 minutes to an hour then stops. There is a small envelope attached near the bottom of the serial number plate with an original part if needed for the chime. But I will also look for someone who specializes in grandfather clock repair.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Unfortunately, I do not have any Colonial repair manuals.

Andy Dervan

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Unfortunately, I do not have any Colonial repair manuals.

Andy Dervan
No worries, I will try and find one online or maybe the local library might have something, I will figure something out, maybe someone reading this post might have one. I'm very happy with my clock, so how ever long it takes to fix it, is ok with me. Thank you so much for helping as much as you have. Cindy Pegram

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Colonial purchased movements from many companies over the years. Any manual would be very general, so for specific issues with a particular movement you would need information on that movement to really helpful. it might be difficult to acquire any parts, because most of the movements were made in Germany and the companies are no longer in business.

If the movement requires anything beyond something very simple, it maybe become expensive to repair. Before you decide on any repair politely question clock repairer's experience working with these type movements. You don't want risk an amateur or someone not familiar with them make the problems worse.

Andy Dervan

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Colonial purchased movements from many companies over the years. Any manual would be very general, so for specific issues with a particular movement you would need information on that movement to really helpful. it might be difficult to acquire any parts, because most of the movements were made in Germany and the companies are no longer in business.

If the movement requires anything beyond something very simple, it maybe become expensive to repair. Before you decide on any repair politely question clock repairer's experience working with these type movements. You don't want risk an amateur or someone not familiar with them make the problems worse.

Andy Dervan
Makes sense, I'm going to try and pull the top out again and will send you a pic of the part, in a small bag, attached below the mfg/serial # plate. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help, thank you so much!
Cindy Pegram

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Makes sense, I'm going to try and pull the top out again and will send you a pic of the part, in a small bag, attached below the mfg/serial # plate. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help, thank you so much!
Cindy Pegram
thumbnail.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
That is a spare suspension spring. It is what the pendulum hangs from. It's very useful to have a spare, but I don't know if the one in your clock is broken or not.

JTD

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
That is a spare suspension spring. It is what the pendulum hangs from. It's very useful to have a spare, but I don't know if the one in your clock is broken or not.

JTD
The pendulum works for a very short time if I manually start it, the chime sounds beautiful as well. When the movers picked it up from the estate sale for me and delivered it, they said they had to remove the weights before moving it to my home, then put them on when they were here, I hope they put them on right.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The pendulum works for a very short time if I manually start it, the chime sounds beautiful as well. When the movers picked it up from the estate sale for me and delivered it, they said they had to remove the weights before moving it to my home, then put them on when they were here, I hope they put them on right.
The movers were right to take off the weights, but they should have removed the pendulum as well. I don't know if the weights are on right or not, it's impossible to tell from the photos. Are they each of different weights (heaviness)?

Can you show us a photo of the back of the movement where the pendulum hangs? Then we could see if your suspension spring is intact or not.

JTD

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
The movers were right to take off the weights, but they should have removed the pendulum as well. I don't know if the weights are on right or not, it's impossible to tell from the photos. Are they each of different weights (heaviness)?

Can you show us a photo of the back of the movement where the pendulum hangs? Then we could see if your suspension spring is intact or not.

JTD
I hope this is what you need...

thumbnail-2.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
That doesn't really help much, it just shows three weights. Very often in these clocks the weights vary in heaviness, according to whether they are for the strike, the chime or the time.

You could unhook them and weigh each one.

JTD

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
That doesn't really help much, it just shows three weights. Very often in these clocks the weights vary in heaviness, according to whether they are for the strike, the chime or the time.

JTD
I'm leaving in a couple of minutes to run some errands, I will stop along the way and pick up a small scale to weigh them then post a pick with each individual weight. Thank you for helping me figure this out, I've never had a grandfather clock but always wanted one...

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
I'm leaving in a couple of minutes to run some errands, I will stop along the way and pick up a small scale to weigh them then post a pick with each individual weight. Thank you for helping me figure this out, I've never had a grandfather clock but always wanted one...
Hi JTD, I ordered a small scale online, received it today, I'm trying to figure out how to remove the weights, once I do, I will weigh them and let you know what the weight is.
Cindy P

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the weights, once I do,
They will have hooks at the top. You just unhook them from the cable.

The only purpose of weighing them is to see if they are all the same weight or not. If they are of varying weights, then the appropriate weight needs to be hung on the correct chain, time, strike and chime. If they are all the same weight, then there is no need to differentiate.

JTD

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
You could hold them two at a time without removing them, and most likely tell if one was heavier. I'd use some gloves to keep the fingerprints off!

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
They will have hooks at the top. You just unhook them from the cable.

The only purpose of weighing them is to see if they are all the same weight or not. If they are of varying weights, then the appropriate weight needs to be hung on the correct chain, time, strike and chime. If they are all the same weight, then there is no need to differentiate.

JTD
Good Morning, they weigh more then I thought, here are the approx weights, 6 1/2 lbs, 4 1/2 lbs, 4 lbs, I can give you the exact weight according to the scale, if you'd like

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
You could hold them two at a time without removing them, and most likely tell if one was heavier. I'd use some gloves to keep the fingerprints off!
Good Morning, to late, I figured since the mover and his helpers had their finger prints all over them, that it was ok so, I handled them the same way, they are pretty old, so I want to pick up some brass cleaner to make them look nicer, its such a beautiful clock, and only purchased it for about $85.00 at an estate auction.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Good Morning, they weigh more then I thought, here are the approx weights, 6 1/2 lbs, 4 1/2 lbs, 4 lbs, I can give you the exact weight according to the scale, if you'd like
Good, so the heavy one goes on the right side, for the chime. The other two doesn't make much difference, but I'd try the 4 1/2 on the left side for the strike.

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country

JTD
I think I misunderstood yo
Good, so the heavy one goes on the right side, for the chime. The other two doesn't make much difference, but I'd try the 4 1/2 on the left side for the strike.
Thank you, the movers had reinstalled the heaviest one on the left, so I will go reinstall them now and let you know how it goes, I really appreciate your help!!!
Cindy P

Reactions: Dave T

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Thank you, the movers had reinstalled the heaviest one on the left, so I will go reinstall them now and let you know how it goes, I really appreciate your help!!!
Cindy P
[/QUOTE]

Weights installed, I put them in a still position after getting the pendulum going, clock is ticking, pendulum moving as it should, now we wait to see how it plays out, hoping it continues to work for a while, it's a few minutes before 8am, here in Henderson NV, I will let you know if it continues to work

Thank you again, I so much appreciate it.

Cindy P

Last edited:

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Weights installed, I put them in a still position after getting the pendulum going, clock is ticking, pendulum moving as it should, now we wait to see how it plays out, hoping it continues to work for a while, it's a few minutes before 8am, here in Henderson NV, I will let you know if it continues to work

Thank you again, I so much appreciate it.

Cindy P
I noticed a decent size whole inside the bottom, is there a missing part that should go in that whole, or is it just something that might have happened along its journey?

Cindy P

thumbnail-3.jpeg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
That makes sense, I thought about patching it but the wood looks so old, I might cause more damage, so leaving it alone for now,

The wooden isn't very old - it's a modern clock, not an antique. But I'm not even sure it's real wood - looks like it may be chipboard.

But you can leave the hole it as it is, won't cause any bother.

JTD

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
Thank you so much! Now I need to locate a manual, to instruct me on how to fix the chime, only works for 45 minutes to an hour then stops. There is a small envelope attached near the bottom of the serial number plate with an original part if needed for the chime. But I will also look for someone who specializes in grandfather clock repair.
When does it officially become an antique

4CindyP

Aug 4, 2021
Country
The wooden isn't very old - it's a modern clock, not an antique. But I'm not even sure it's real wood - looks like it may be chipboard.

But you can leave the hole it as it is, won't cause any bother.

JTD
It's wood, a very thin wood and appears to have slivers and a few cracks, I can tell its old, which is why I don't really want to mess with it. I have had no problems since I hung the weights in their proper places, the mover obviously installed them incorrectly, it's now working beautifully, and I'm loving every moment of it

Cindy P :)

Reactions: Missy and Dave T

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's wood, a very thin wood and appears to have slivers and a few cracks, I can tell its old, which is why I don't really want to mess with it. I have had no problems since I hung the weights in their proper places, the mover obviously installed them incorrectly, it's now working beautifully, and I'm loving every moment of it

Cindy P :)
That's great! Glad you're happy with your clock and will enjoy it for a long time to come.
JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
When does it officially become an antique
100+ years is generally the accepted age for an antique, though there is no legal definition that I know of.

Newer things are 'vintage' or 'retro' or all sorts of words that dealers and others think up.

JTD

• Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-