Grandfather clock weights?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by BlancoNino, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:11 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BlancoNino

BlancoNino Registered User

Jul 15, 2018
    Country Flag:
    I just won a slightly more modern grandfather clock (70’s or so) at an auction. The movement and chains for the weights are all present and in good shape, but the weights themselves are missing. I’ve done some searching on the forum and from what I can tell, I can just buy new weight shells and fill them to save a bit of money on cost and shipping. I have the ability to cast metal and an abundance of lead in all shapes and sizes (I reload bullets often), so the weight aspect is no problem. Before I begin the repair, however, I wanted to clarify a few things with you all as you’ve been awesome in the past.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the weight shell SIZE (Length and diameter) doesn’t necessarily make a difference as long as the weight inside is correct and the shell doesn’t contact the floor of the clock, correct? Is there a standard shell size for this movement? I can’t seem to find anything. The entire clock sits 73.5” tall.

Secondly, does someone have the ability to confirm my weights, please? The movement is a Hermle 451-050H. From what my research tells me, the weights should be 4.7, 4.7, and 6.6 respectively. Sound about right? Thanks again for all of the help so far.

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a small movement, so the weight shell diameter is important. If you use large diameter weights, they will contact each other. You must get weightshells that match that movement. Mark Butterworth probably has those.

3. BlancoNino

BlancoNino Registered User

Jul 15, 2018
    Country Flag:
    Am I missing something? I've tried to go to butterworth clocks more than once. I've been met with a dead website on one attempt, a "Forbidden" message another time and finally, a popup asking me for a password this final time. What am I doing wrong?
    Also, I get what you're saying about the shell not being too large. I found a site that has specific Hermle shells. They only list two sizes. Is it safe to assume the smaller?

4. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just type in butterworth for user and password to gain access. That just keeps the site from being overloaded by lookie loo's instead of serious clock parts buyers.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    "Smaller" doesn't have much meaning. 50mm OD would probably be correct. The length can vary also. Merritt's sells a boxed set for the 451 movement for a reasonable price but beware the weights have a "brass finish" not polished or brushed brass. They look good on a clock with a brass finished aluminum dial and pendulum bob but not good with brass. If you have a lyre pendulum the center weight will need to be heavier than 4.7#. Mark Butterworth pretty much knows all about these clocks. You will have to specify the finish you need to match the dial and pendulum. Willie X

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lead also has a nasty habit of clinging to the sides of shells and discoloring them as well. It would be good to cast your inserts elsewhere and then put them into the shells. Don't forget the center hole. ;)

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    One 25# bag of #6 lead shot will do it. If you use shot, be sure to roll a strong plastic bag inside the weight shell then pleat and tape the bottom so the shot won't ever spill out. After filling to the correct weight, pleat the top down as best you can and tightly stuff the empty space with twisted up newspaper. A speck of blue Loctite on all the threaded ends is a very good idea.
    BTW, a Hermle movement that old will probably need extensive repair or replacement. Willie X