• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Help Grandfather Clock stops before hour strike but not always

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
OK, that's progress. If the hammer on the strike is fully down through the warning run, then we must have an issue with the strike train. Could you post another video of what's happening now? Be sure to go slow so we can see the warning runs.
Video,

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
OK, that's progress. If the hammer on the strike is fully down through the warning run, then we must have an issue with the strike train. Could you post another video of what's happening now? Be sure to go slow so we can see the warning runs.
I posted it this afternoon but now I don't see it. I will try again.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You're still turning right past the warning run, but when the strike sets up, there should be a pin that hit that tab on the far left end and holds the strike from running until the chime stops. That pin might be broken off or bent enough to miss the tab. Take a peek over there and let us know what you see.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
You're still turning right past the warning run, but when the strike sets up, there should be a pin that hit that tab on the far left end and holds the strike from running until the chime stops. That pin might be broken off or bent enough to miss the tab. Take a peek over there and let us know what you see.
Pin looks fine to me. It just did its strike at the 30 minute mark.

IMG_1267.jpg

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Today at 9:20 am it striked on the hour.

The next hour I had to help it by just blowing air with my breath on the fan and then it started the strike.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I can't tell if that's the strike side or the chime. We need to see the strike side. There's a tab that should stop that pin from turning during warn on the strike. Do you see that happening?
There are pins on the chime side too ... so that's the reason for the confusion.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I can't tell if that's the strike side or the chime. We need to see the strike side. There's a tab that should stop that pin from turning during warn on the strike. Do you see that happening?
There are pins on the chime side too ... so that's the reason for the confusion.
The picture is the strike side, sorry about the confusion.

Clock just made a strike on the hour. Maybe it will fix itself.

At 2:20 the strike needed a touch of wind to move it.

It's Sunday at 11.38 am. Last night I watch the movement go through two hours of chiming and striking perfectly. The weights have dropped pretty much evenly over night. I will watch it again tonight and let you know how it does.

June 8, We are getting really close. striking and chiming correctly when I watch it but the strike is at a different time than yesterday..

June 10, It's back to doing what it does. Right now the chime is stopped at the 3/4 mark and has not advanced for a few hours.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Rough and I were talking in code, Naif. You'll understand it if your continue in clock repair for long ;)

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Rough and I were talking in code, Naif. You'll understand it if your continue in clock repair for long ;)
I thought you guys were messing with me,lol.

Shutterbug, I started to mess with the movement a little bit and I have fixed the strike side, it never needs a push anymore. I also turned back the chime gear just a touch and it starts chiming with more power but it does not always chime, sometimes it misses starting the chiming process. Sometimes it takes two or three quarters to start and other times much more. It likes to sit at that three quarter mark to make its adjustments but now the strike never misses. Do you have any clues on what to mess with to get these chimes working on every quarter?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Is it failing to stop until it gets to the 3/4 hour position, or does it chime normally until it gets to the 3/4 hour and then won't release?

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Is it failing to stop until it gets to the 3/4 hour position, or does it chime normally until it gets to the 3/4 hour and then won't release?
It will work perfectly for several cycles and then it will sit on that 3/4 mark. Those two hooks that are on the chime side will be lifted but the chime will not start.. Many times the lift arm will lift a couple times before the chime will start. At times when the arms lifts on that 3/4 mark it acts like it cannot get high enough for the chime gear to release. Other times you can rotate the hand arbor for 12 times before it starts. The strike seems to consistently start on the hour.

Before it stops it is chiming normally.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I will make you a video.
Did some crazy things this time. I thought it was getting consistent in what it would do but apparently not.

If their is to much glare let me know and I will do it again.

My apology for the poor video, if you want me to try again let me know.
Top View,

Last edited:

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
There are two levers attached to the one shaft. Check that these are set to function properly. There is adjustment via the screw that can be seen on one.
If your talking about the screw that adjusts the hooks that stop and release to run the chimes at what position do you adjust the hooks, first, second, third, or fourth quarter and which way do you want to adjust them.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Yep. That's crazy all right.

Try turning the hand nut very slowly past the lifter. Maybe you are turning it too quickly in the videos. Observe from the top looking down into the movement.
I noticed that when it is missing and not releasing the gear it happens because one of the hooks are still holding the gear down. However, it has had both hooks up when it runs on its own many times and the chime gear would not start.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
OK, this is usually because something is wrong in the train. Check all endshakes and sideshakes through the chime train.

Is this the same clock? or thereabouts?

View attachment 595742 View attachment 595743
It's a UWO3053B. You lost me with that terminology.I have to try to find out what you mean. The picture of that movement looks like its sibling.

I replaced all the bushings on the chime side if that is what your getting at.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
In the last video, I notice the chime sync lever (the front one) is not lifting when it should. Sometimes it looks like it's lifting high enough, and other times it doesn't. Look for two things: First, what lifts that lever, and why isn't it consistent? Second, is the stop pin being released by one hook and then grabbed by the other? If so, your warning run is not long enough. It appears to be pretty short in all of the videos, but it's hard to see because you keep turning too fast and missing the warning run.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
In the last video, I notice the chime sync lever (the front one) is not lifting when it should. Sometimes it looks like it's lifting high enough, and other times it doesn't. Look for two things: First, what lifts that lever, and why isn't it consistent? Second, is the stop pin being released by one hook and then grabbed by the other? If so, your warning run is not long enough. It appears to be pretty short in all of the videos, but it's hard to see because you keep turning too fast and missing the warning run.
I have been asking myself why is it that the lever does not lift consistently all the time but have not figured it out yet. I have been playing a little with adjustment of the hooks and the position of the chime wheel because I noticed that several times it does not start because it does not have the poser to do and I have to give the fan a little push.

Its been running fine for a little while now. I think I can get those chimes to work right because I had it working properly before I fixed the strike and before adjusting the chime gear.

It's almost 11 pm so it's running perfectly now for about eight hours.

June 17, 10:17 am, we may have it, it's still chiming and striking in proper sequence.

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
It's a UWO3053B. You lost me with that terminology.I have to try to find out what you mean. The picture of that movement looks like its sibling.

I replaced all the bushings on the chime side if that is what your getting at.
Yes. Yours has a choice of chime whereas mine is straight westminister? Otherwise the same movement. Sideshake and endshake do apply to bushings. Yes.
However, put that aside for the moment since you assure us that you did bush it. I am still interested in the action of the levers as shutterbug has also noticed.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Yes. Yours has a choice of chime whereas mine is straight westminister? Otherwise the same movement. Sideshake and endshake do apply to bushings. Yes.
However, put that aside for the moment since you assure us that you did bush it. I am still interested in the action of the levers as shutterbug has also noticed.
I adjusted the chime hooks and the big chime wheel this morning and it has been running great. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for your input.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Holly Cow ! Your in Australa ! Mighty nice of you to try to help out a Yank.

We may have it, its been humming for about 20 hours.

Reactions: roughbarked

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Greetings to all and thank you in advance for all of the wonderful help that is offered on so many different topics. Mr. Naif my question is for you. I recently acquired a one owner, original 1977 Ridgeway Model-122 Grandmother clock and it too has the exact same movement that you have been working of for all these months. When I got it, the movement was overwound and the weights were off. I was able to back the chains down and got a few notes. I partially disassembled the clock in order to gain access to the rotation fans. My quarter, half, three quarter and hour chime but I need to assist the power side to start. I must say, the selector switch was jammed up pretty good. When moved, the clock will sometimes stop. I will check for a bent pivot as well, but was wondering, did you manage to get the hour and half hour to strike and chime respectively? Your time and attention is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Mr. Shutterbug, you knowledge and ease of explanation give me courage!! Thank you as well!

20201203_235017.jpg 20201203_234845.jpg 20201203_234853.jpg 20201203_234908.jpg

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Greetings to all and thank you in advance for all of the wonderful help that is offered on so many different topics. Mr. Naif my question is for you. I recently acquired a one owner, original 1977 Ridgeway Model-122 Grandmother clock and it too has the exact same movement that you have been working of for all these months. When I got it, the movement was overwound and the weights were off. I was able to back the chains down and got a few notes. I partially disassembled the clock in order to gain access to the rotation fans. My quarter, half, three quarter and hour chime but I need to assist the power side to start. I must say, the selector switch was jammed up pretty good. When moved, the clock will sometimes stop. I will check for a bent pivot as well, but was wondering, did you manage to get the hour and half hour to strike and chime respectively? Your time and attention is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Mr. Shutterbug, you knowledge and ease of explanation give me courage!! Thank you as well!

View attachment 625494 View attachment 625495 View attachment 625496 View attachment 625497
Hello Armando, Isn't Shutterbug great? This was the first movement I really ever worked on. I ended up putting new bushing in almost the
entire clock. That basically got things working. Then it was a matter of adjusting the chime and strike. Got thinks running perfectly until I put the movement back in the case. Once again the chime and strike acted up. Tried to make some adjustments while the clock was in the case but was unsuccessful. I ran out of patience and time and had to get back to the other things that needed taking care of but I will return to working on it someday. I may have to try and take it out of the case again but I will try adjusting it in the case first. I will do that or just have the clock run in silent mode. I am the only one in the house that likes to hear that everyone else says its annoying.
If I were a betting man then my guess is its the bushings in that drive train.
Good Luck!!

mlschlot

NAWCC Business
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2001
Fairhope, Alabama
thesandsoftime.biz
Country
Region
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I've had several "hard life" vintage tall case clocks that would also run great on the test stand, but fail when installed in the case (post overhaul, all the pivots, bushings, cams, levers, wheels, pinions are correct). Check the movement seat board in the case. Sometimes these old German chiming movements had the seat board screws installed really, really tight, to the point where the seat board is grooved from the bottom of the plates. Try turning the seat board over, if possible, to get a completely flat, smooth, unused surface, and don't tighten the mounting screws more than "finger tight." Wear grooves in the case seat board could combine with the overly tight seat board mounting screws to "rack" the plates.

Last edited:

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Thanks Mischlot, I will check that out. I have noticed that the amount of pressure even on the screws holding the plates will affect it.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
The clock was manufactured so that the screws could be tightened on the plates. All the parts between the plates must have freedom of movement unless they are fixed to the plate. One of these movements is end to end between the plates. Otherwise known as endshake.
If the screws cannot be tightened without stopping the freedom of movement of all or any of the pivots, then there clearly is a problem with the endshakes.

But I am talking about the clock plates, you probably aren't.

Last edited:

Armando Alcaraz

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Hello Armando, Isn't Shutterbug great? This was the first movement I really ever worked on. I ended up putting new bushing in almost the
entire clock. That basically got things working. Then it was a matter of adjusting the chime and strike. Got thinks running perfectly until I put the movement back in the case. Once again the chime and strike acted up. Tried to make some adjustments while the clock was in the case but was unsuccessful. I ran out of patience and time and had to get back to the other things that needed taking care of but I will return to working on it someday. I may have to try and take it out of the case again but I will try adjusting it in the case first. I will do that or just have the clock run in silent mode. I am the only one in the house that likes to hear that everyone else says its annoying.
If I were a betting man then my guess is its the bushings in that drive train.
Good Luck!!
Thank you nonetheless!! I too have other projects that need my attention, maybe I'll wait until spring and do it right. For now, silent mode is fine since I have about 10 other clocks gonging and chiming and Coo Cooing for now. Happy holidays!!

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulwhy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit