• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Grandfather clock runs for 5 or so minutes and stops

tmacmi

Jan 24, 2021
Country
I'm sure this shows up several times a year.

We received a Colonial clock with a Jauch 78 movement. It was covered with dust and dirt and hadn't run in years. I had a quote of $750 to clean and repair. The clock isn't worth that much in sentimental value to us so I decided to try to clean and oil it myself, without disassembling it.

I got clock cleaner and oil from clockworks. I've cleaned it twice, shooting cleaner through the bearings with an enema bulb. I used a toothpick to clean grunge out of the bearing dimples, around the axles where they enter the bearings, and the gears. I then carefully and lightly oiled all the bearings and gears.

Now the clock runs for roughly 5 minutes (which is better than before) but then it stops. There is a tab that the pendulum hangs from that appears to be made of spring steel (See photo). When the pendulum is taken off you can see that its bent. I don't know that has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I give up.

Thank you in advance. IMG_0062.jpg

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The clock is probably out of beat. Also, I notice that the leader ( part that the pendulum is attached to) that extends through the crutch, is binding on the crutch. The leader should be hanging through the center of the crutch slot. Bend it out away from the movement so the leader is in the center of the slot.
“Out of beat” means that the ticks must be at the same distance from the center of the pendulum swing left and right. Your clock does not have the automatic beat setting set-up, so you will need to adjust the crutch left or right until it is in beat. There is a sticky about setting the beat in this section of the forum. Reading that should help you understand.
The tab you refer to is the suspension spring. I think it is ok.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Is it in beat? An equal gap between tick and tock? Otherwise the clock can soon stop

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
“without disassembling”... and how did you visually inspect the pivot holes to make sure they were still perfectly round and not worn oval, allowing arbors to shift and gear depthing to be consistent? insure that all clock cleaner was removed after cleaning so you were oiling fresh/clean/dry pieces? (i’ve used compressed air to help w that but disassembly is best...). make sure no pivots were bent? there are a lot of little fine tuning adjustments and checks that can only happen while movements are apart. :)

a video of it running would be helpful (at least 60 seconds)... you can upload to youtube and then copy and paste the url into a post here to auto-embed. if you can catch it as it goes from running to stopping that would also let us see what you’re seeing.

i agree w wow... the crutch hanging down should not be hitting the back of the crutch slot... you want it centered. the slot piece should make contact as lightly as when you’re taking your supporting hand of a kid’s shoulder when they’re finally able to ride the bike by themselves... light, if at all. the friction u have there would be enough to stop the clock but in beat is essential.

and, you could try a hint of oil in the escape wheel teeth to see it that helps... just the slightest hint

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When you're bending the crutch as Will outlined, be sure to support the arbor so you don't bend a pivot. At the top of the forum there's a link to "Beat Setting 101" that will help you a lot.

tmacmi

Jan 24, 2021
Country
Great news! I put it in beat and it has run successfully for the past 18 hours. Thank you all.

Bad news; the chimes aren't going off. I hear it click on the quarter hour, but no "whirring" or chiming. I checked the weights. I have the weight stamped "right" on the right side and the weight stamped "left" on the left side...as facing the clock. The unstamped weight I have put in the middle.

Any suggestions on this next step?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Great news! I put it in beat and it has run successfully for the past 18 hours. Thank you all.

Bad news; the chimes aren't going off. I hear it click on the quarter hour, but no "whirring" or chiming. I checked the weights. I have the weight stamped "right" on the right side and the weight stamped "left" on the left side...as facing the clock. The unstamped weight I have put in the middle.

Any suggestions on this next step?
Are you sure the on/off switch is on?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Yep, that's the first thing I checked.

After it clicks, there is a medium sized gear that I can move and it will run the chimes.
“Medium sized gear” does not help us much. We need to see which gear and where it is. Can you make a video of it and show us which wheel you are touching? Make it on YouTube and then download it here

tmacmi

Jan 24, 2021
Country
“Medium sized gear” does not help us much. We need to see which gear and where it is. Can you make a video of it and show us which wheel you are touching? Make it on YouTube and then download it here
Hopefully this works

The hourly strikes work just fine when I run that chime gear on the hour.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Switch it to Westminster and see if that helps. That's the easiest song for the movement to play. It has all the signs of being worn too much to function. It will probably have to be serviced.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Switch it to Westminster and see if that helps. That's the easiest song for the movement to play. It has all the signs of being worn too much to function. It will probably have to be serviced.
I think the fly is slipping on it’s arbor. The notes are playing unevenly. A service is probably needed. Since you are having to make it go with that wheel, it is losing power somewhere.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think he was powering it with his finger, Will. That's why it was playing unevenly ;)

tmacmi

Jan 24, 2021
Country
I think the fly is slipping on it’s arbor. The notes are playing unevenly. A service is probably needed. Since you are having to make it go with that wheel, it is losing power somewhere.
This project is a do it yourselfer. It just doesn't hold that much sentimental value to us. I found an axle that looked like I'd missed when lubricating and I switched it to Westminster. Its now playing but slowly. Is the fly the blade that spins when chiming?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Be sure the heavy weight is on the right side as you look at the front.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
These Gebr. Jauch KG movements are renowned for excess wear after being used for several years. The movement must be disassembled. Worn bushings must be replaced, mangled stop pins must be replaced, old failed lubricants must be cleaned off, pivots must be polished, fine adjustments are inevitable, and those pivots must be in line for the clock movement to actually work again. There are no shortcuts to a full, proper overhaul. Short-term repairs will yield short-term success. Duct tape does not fix anything with clocks. Hermle does not make a proper equivalent to this movement and spare Jauch movements on eBay tend to be worn out. If you don't have the resources to do this, a professional may be consulted from the NAWCC.

The chimes sound real nice, never going to get that sound quality from a modern electronic chime. They'll sound nicer-still with a working movement. Movement-played chimes sound better than finger-played chimes. Good luck with the overhaul, you and the clock will be happier once it's through.

tmacmi

Jan 24, 2021
Country
I appreciate everyone's input on this. Here's how far I've gotten on this, all the way from a clock that was covered in 20 years of dust balls.

I know the right way to do this is a complete disassembly, clean and replacement of any bad bearings. The quote I received for that work was $750. As I mentioned, this clock simply doesn't hold that much sentimental value for us.

Could I do a complete tear down, clean and reassembly myself with the support of the folks here? Probably, unfortunately I already have so many hobbies/interests that I still have to find time for; testing and an article for a 170 year old rifle, brake job for a 60 year old car, and rewiring the electricity on a 40 year old sailboat.

My uncle was a museum quality horologist. He'd come in handy right about now. I've wound all the mechanical clocks in our house and started them. They are all chiming with in a minute or so of each other. It reminds me of his house. He had so many clocks I swear they'd chime for 5 minutes and start all over again in 10.

In any event, thanks for the help. I'm thinking of taking this clock out again and giving it in one more good clean, focusing on the chime gears and setting it back up.

All other input is appreciated.

I'll have another post about an old William Gilbert clock another time.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bB7NMElJB8Q

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
A Hermle 451-053 can be made to work in your case pretty easily. Check with Mark Butterworth for the details. A new movement might be the easiest and cheapest way to go here.

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.