Grandfather Clock not Chiming

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
Grandfather clock will not chime. It clicks but does not raise the bar high enough to make it chime. I'm not sure how to repair or does it need the piece that moves the lever need to be replaced. I hope the pictures help - I'm not to sure how to word this right. Thanks in advance for your help.
20210619_135452.jpg 20210619_135441.jpg 20210619_135510.jpg

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
In the bottom picture, it looks like the chime/silent lever may be in the silent position?

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
Several possible causes for the problem come to mind. First check the chime silent lever as suggested by "Bikerclockguy". It does not look fully engaged but could be partially engaging the chime release lever and holding it up.
My first question is. Has this clock been recently disassembled or did this problem just begin. When the movement is in a "resting" state between chiming sequences I prefer the warning pinto be up between 11 and 1 o'clock positionally speaking. If it is too low when the lever lifts it may not be releasing the warning wheel pin to rotate down and be caught by the warning lever. If the pin is too low it may actually be hitting the warning lever and causing the lever to stutter and not be raised enough.
Check the center arbor star wheel to lever relationship and be sure the lever is riding to the top of the star point and dropping completely back to the resting position after the quarter it is addressing has been lifted and released.
The chime release lever is held in place by a collar on the back side of the front plate. Be sure it is tight but not binding against the back of the plate so that the lever hangs or delays once lifted and is not falling back to its run position.
Check for up and down movement in both front cam wheels to be sure the bushings are not worn in an up and down pattern that may be making one or both cams sloppy or dropping down to low to be properly engaged by the chime lever.
Verify that the chime stop/run cam and the chime selection cam on the right are in sync.
If the clock has not been serviced recently are the pivot holes clean and sufficiently oiled and movement of the fly and wheels are free.
Check that the chime control lever which has a small arm that runs on the chime select cam is not touching the back of the cam which could impede its lifting. Same goes for the chime stop cam.

From the picture it appears you are missing a nut on the top right rear post. Might not have any relationship to this issue but it should be there.

Hope this helps.

DPC

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
Thank you all for the advice and wisdom you have shared. I replaced the part I thought was worn and it's now working. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller