Please ID this Clock Grandfather Clock ID Please

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bj.conway, Jun 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bj.conway

bj.conway New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone, newbie here! I got this grandfather clock handed down to me from my grandparents. Lots of great memories of the clock and would love to get it going again.
    It needs some TLC, hasn't run in 6 or 7 years, but as far as I know all the parts are there.
    From doing a search on this forum looks like it is possibly a German clock and the movement is Haller & Dorsch, please correct me if I'm wrong. The cabinet doesn't have any labels nor makers mark on it at all. And from what I can tell the chime doesn't have any markings. Any more info would be appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_9987.jpeg IMG_0003.jpeg IMG_9998.jpeg IMG_9999.jpeg IMG_9988.jpeg IMG_9989.jpeg IMG_9991.jpeg IMG_9992.jpeg IMG_9993.jpeg IMG_9996.jpeg IMG_9995.jpeg IMG_9997.jpeg IMG_0001.jpeg

PatH and Dave T like this.
  2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum. The trademark shown on the backplate is that of Haller & Dorsch, of Schwenningen, in the Black Forest area of Germany.

There is not much known about Haller & Dorsch. They were in business AFAIK from the mid-1920's to the mid-1930's.

HTH

Regards.

bj.conway likes this.
  3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

The dates suggested above make perfect sense, as the clock is exactly from that period. I can only add that these clocks were produced by a variety of German makers between the wars (including Haller & Dorsch), and are commonly referred to as "round top" clocks, for obvious reasons. The clean, geometric lines of the case and numerals are characteristic of the Art Deco style of that time.

Regards.

bj.conway likes this.
  4. bj.conway

bj.conway New Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Awesome thank you for the info.

5. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A good clock person could get this running easily. It takes a complete tear down of the movement, cleaning, bushing, etc,. reassemble, and oiling. Nice clock good luck.

bj.conway likes this.