Grandfather and Weight Clock Movement Test Stand

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Freeloader, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:44 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Freeloader

Freeloader Registered User

Apr 18, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do not want to spend $250 for this stand (below). Does anyone have plans or photos of functional grandfather and weight clock movement stands that I could make?

s-l1600.jpg

2. Freeloader

Apr 18, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Freeloader, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:19 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:27 AM
    I did do a search of the board and found some good ones, below, but I have seen one that is attached to the ceiling and has a crosspiece.

mvt-stand-jpg.jpg

100_1513-jpg.jpg

test-stand-and-mvt-support-001-jpg.jpg

59293-474d58a5d6baa037c54915f074170e9a.jpg 59294-98d26def53639f6c381fd1dd4d5e2c1e.jpg

clocks-154-jpg.jpg

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    who is attempting to sell that stand for that much?!?

timesavers has a very similar one for $90: Grandfather Movement Test Stand

i don't know for sure that that is where mine came from, but it looks identical.

4. Freeloader

Apr 18, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    GRANDFATHER CLOCK MOVEMENT TEST STAND set of 1 project | eBay

I can whip that up with a couple of 2x4s and 1x6's and some bolts real easy.
    I built these wraparound work tables:
    0113191502e-jpg.jpg

What I want to have is a test area that hangs from the ceiling of the shop. One piece would screw in across the ceiling joists, with two pieces could down vertically, and another one on the bottom of those two, like an open box. The movement sits on the bottom. Others sit on the side. This way, I don't have to deal with the uneven floors in my basement.

5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    even if hanging from the ceiling i would still design for height adjustments in all four corners of the platform/seatboard. that would allow you to match any situation... and the definite possibility that a movement has been tweaked for a non-perfectly-level seatboard or mounting in its case.

just a thought...

6. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a similar thread in the Clock Repair section with some good information and where I posted a set of plans for the test stands I built.

I would think hanging a test stand from the ceiling would have problems with swinging induced by the pendulum.

7. Freeloader

Apr 18, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    433529-907d56a51562b88d862d3973d60f0e24.jpg

Thanks Allan- I missed that thread. The backboard on your stand makes it impossible to view the movement from both sides.
    It also looks like it might be a bit topheavy with a clock on it, and possible fall over if you bump into it.
    You might as well just hang it from the wall, which is stable. My shop floor is uneven, as I said, so the upright stand is a problem.

If you secure the stand to the ceiling, with heavy screws or lagbolts to the joists, swinging won't cause any issues.
    Some grandfather movements, with the weights and lyre pendulum, are very tall. You really need a movement that is higher.
    My fear with the stands made of uprights, is that the higher you to, the more chance of tipping if you bump into it.
    Otherwise, I'd use 2x4's, one on each side, 78" high, a 2x4 crosspiece at the top, and some overwide outrigger 2x4's at the bottom that prevent tipping.

The whole thing would cost under $10, You would be amazed what good things you can make just from 2x4's.
    The problem is still the uneven floor. The stand will shake unless you shim it up.
    Adding some floor levelers (screw type) might help.
    You could attach it to the wall, but then you cannot see both sides of the movement.

I really love the freeswinger on the second lower stand.

8. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to clarify what is shown in the photo above. There are 2 identical stands. The backboard flips over to provide a higher or lower stand as needed. The stand on the left has the backboard in the low position, the stand on the right is in the high position so the weights can drop their full length. The backboard can also be completely removed to give full access to the front and back of grandfather movements.

9. Freeloader

Apr 18, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have to unscrew the back or otherwise move it.
    With it on, you cannot see both sides of the movement, front and back.

I think I am going to make one like the open ones above out of 2x4s.
    It will be very sturdy and have leg levelers.
    If you guys want, I will post a pic when it is done.