• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Grande Sonnerie Shelf?

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
I am trying to help a woman who has a family clock about which she would like more information. I have seen pictures. I have not seen the clock in person, and I have not yet seen a picture from the back which shows the movement. The clock appears to be Austrian and has the name Jof Filcher on the dial. "In Wien" also appears there. The case is basically a box shape with a pretty black molding about 2/3 of the way down and a base that is a bit wider than the movement housing. I would estimate that it is 11" tall by 8" wide by 6" deep.The surface of the case is a veneer of some sort that looks like it might be mahogany. There is what appears to be a fancy cast handle on top for moving the clock. I have no way of posting a photo, sorry. This clock has a porcelain dial with three wind holes. It appears to be a Sonnerie fo some sort. Can anyone shed some light? David "owen.or"

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
I am trying to help a woman who has a family clock about which she would like more information. I have seen pictures. I have not seen the clock in person, and I have not yet seen a picture from the back which shows the movement. The clock appears to be Austrian and has the name Jof Filcher on the dial. "In Wien" also appears there. The case is basically a box shape with a pretty black molding about 2/3 of the way down and a base that is a bit wider than the movement housing. I would estimate that it is 11" tall by 8" wide by 6" deep.The surface of the case is a veneer of some sort that looks like it might be mahogany. There is what appears to be a fancy cast handle on top for moving the clock. I have no way of posting a photo, sorry. This clock has a porcelain dial with three wind holes. It appears to be a Sonnerie fo some sort. Can anyone shed some light? David "owen.or"

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings Owen -- There are no "Filcher" entries whatsoever in three prime references; Abeler, Kaltenböck, and Weijdom Claterbos. That is, with any first name, in Vienna or elsewhere.

There are however many "Fischer"s, and a Josef/Joseph in Vienna among them. The WC and Abeler entries simply have that he was an independent journeyman as of 1829, a citizen of Wien from 1841-58, amd might have died in 1876.

On the other hand, "Jof" was a less common abbreviation for "Josef" than was "Jos". Might the "Jof" actually be "Joh" -- the common abbreviation for the quite common Johann? Regards, Duck

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Does the clock have five or six rods in the bottom? If so it is probably a Westminster chiming clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracy K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry