Grand Sonnerie Clock Questions

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Some questions about Grand Sonneries I'm hoping someone can answer.
1) When were Grand Sonnerie clocks first developed?
2) Who did it?
3) Why would anyone in their right mind want such an annoying clock?
The one on the left is very old with no warning pins on the gears. If anything is at all out of adjustment it won't strike on the side out of adjustment. Any idea of its age? The one on the right is a Becker
PC130036.JPG
PC130036.JPG

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I don't know the origin of GS clocks but it is a long one as Tompion used it.

I like the one on the left the best, it looks last quarter 19th C. As to annoying some will find them that, others won't.

Btw that's a nice French garniture set.

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
Some of the GS clocks have a lever behind the dial located near the '1' or '2' on the dial which can be moved to block the strike train being released. I have one beside my bed and don't notice it striking unless I make an effort to listen for it.

Reactions: Jmeechie

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
It may have originated along with the rack and snail striking/repeating, and with Thomas Tompion.

Some think that it was Edward Barlow who invented the rack and snail repeat in watches and Tompion used it in clocks, others think that it was one of many ideas Robert Hooke gave to Tompion.

Being alot quieter in those days you could probably hear it from other rooms and know the time every 15 minutes, handy if you had poor eyesight.
Then there's always "look how rich/cultured I am, with my fancy complicated clock, that reminds you it's there 4 times an hour.";)
Dan

Shipsbell

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2010
Country
Region
2) Who did it?
The one on the left is very old with no warning pins on the gears. If anything is at all out of adjustment it won't strike on the side out of adjustment. Any idea of its age? The one on the right is a Becker View attachment 630243 View attachment 630243
I love those things, I have found that these clocks are very sensitive and run the
2) Who did it?
The one on the left is very old with no warning pins on the gears. If anything is at all out of adjustment it won't strike on the side out of adjustment. Any idea of its age? The one on the right is a Becker View attachment 630243 View attachment 630243
I'm not clear if you are having trouble with the strike but after months of frustration I found the problem to be the springs that hold the hammer too tight. Once I loosen them it runs like a top.
As to the GS, I love them.
Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morbier
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent