$ Grand Rapids Clock and Mantle Grandfather Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bill Scott, Dec 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Scott

Bill Scott Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 17, 2017
    My wife and I are in the process of downsizing and may need to find a home for this clock. It is in great condition, keeps very accurate time and chimes like church bells. I know the company was around in the late 1800's until 1918. I have no idea what to expect for this clock as I hear these types of clocks are not selling well now. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Full (2).jpg Interior (2).jpg Dial (2).jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a nice chimer that has some collectability. I don't think you'd have any trouble getting somewhere in the upper three figures, perhaps more.
    The issue of course is location, since it's hard to ship a critter like that.

3. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that is indeed a very nice clock. it looks like it could perhaps use a service and probably a restoration. assuming that it runs, keeps good time, chimes, and strikes properly, and the tubes have no cracks, i would say $2300-2700.00 would be a reasonable asking price. just keep in mind that it could take a long time to sell.

4. AllThumbz

AllThumbz Registered User

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Attorney
    Queens, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Check out this link:
    Grandfather Clock, Grand Rapids Clock and Mantel Co.

It sold for $500 in 1910.

One sold on Live Auctioneers in 2013 for $2250.
    A Grand Rapids Clock & Mantel Co. Grandfather Clock - Nov 17, 2013 | Midwest Auction Galleries, Inc. in MI

It's a lovely clock, but will cost a few hundred to safely ship. Freight truck due to its size most likely.
    If you are motivated, find someone local who will KEEP it for their home for $1750-2000 and let it go.
    It is truly a gem that I'd love to have myself.

N

5. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that is really interesting info. in 1910, you could buy a farm for 500 bucks.

6. M Syb

M Syb New Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Female
    Country Flag:
    A little more historical information for you, the Grand Rapids Clock and Mantle company was founded in 1893 under the name Dryen-Annin-Rose Clock Co. My 2nd Great Grandfather was John A. Rose, the Rose in the company name. He was related by marriage (brother-in-law) to either Dryen or Annin I believe. He was a cabinet maker who emigrated from Sweden, following his older sister to America. In 1898, Dryden-Annin-Rose became Grand Rapids Clock Company. A grandfather clock just like this one is still in our family. I agree with the others here about it's value. It's such a beautiful clock!

7. brian fisher

NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    welcome to the forum M syb. thank you for sharing that great info.

8. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wrote an article on the company NAWCC Watch and Clock Bulletin - check it out.

Those 9 tube clocks were only made for about 2-3 years 1910 - 1913. After the company's president died in 1912 the company quickly faded

Andy Dervan

9. Bill Scott

Bill Scott Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 17, 2017
    M Syb, thank you so much for the information. I did end up keeping the clock and had it shipped along with our furniture from California to Kentucky. I am so glad we kept it. It is big but we will make room for it in our smaller home. I hired a local 2nd generation clock shop owner to assist with the dismantling and packing. He was totally amazed by the clock which made me appreciate it even more.

gleber likes this.