Graduation/coming of age...

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Noel Branson, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Noel Branson

Noel Branson New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I've been interested in mechanical clocks since at the age of 8 I fished my dad's discarded (Smith's of Enfield) wind-up alarm clock out of the trash and brought it back to life. More recently (20-ish years ago )I developed a liking for torsion clocks. Then a week ago I took the plunge and bid on an Atmos on a well-known auction site and won it. Man, what a revelation! This thing is so beautiful! I bought it broken, with a twisted pallet fork, and it took me all of 2 hours to sort it but sort it I did. It's a 528-6 with the polished finish and I love it. I want more! I'm only a hobbyist but my local antique dealer/ clock restorer brings me all his torsion work and I'd like to find a source of Atmos parts in the UK (without the exorbitant postage/import costs of buying from the US) as I would love to do more with Atmos. Has anyone any suggestions? I'm not finding much out there...

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Noel,

Welcome to the message board. Torsion clocks can be addictive. My first was an Atmos I found in a local shop. Parts for them are expensive where ever you find them. I don't think Le Coultre distributes replacement parts anymore.

Eric

3. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    There is a DVD available "servicing the Atmos clock with Gerald Jaeger".

I recommend viewing this before launching the missiles.

Jim

4. Noel Branson

Noel Branson New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Jim. That's very good advice. I wasn't going to go into it unprepared and I've been reading whatever I can find about the Atmos. But there doesn't seem to be a great deal available apart from on this site. I do have my sister's new husband's Atmos here awaiting attention but it has a broken EW pivot and the fourth wheel output shaft is broken. (Minute hand off) Waiting for the parts to come from the States so I'm getting myself prepared for the challenge ahead. I have lots of experience with 400 day clocks and I'm fully aware that an Atmos is a different kettle of fish altogether. So any advice from the guys on here will be gratefully received and carefully acted upon. I'll let you all know how I get on.

5. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there is a guy in Germany offering services for Atmoses for verry reasonable prices. I ´ve had my Atmos revised by him,payed 220€ with a money back garanty for one year.I met him in person when I got my clock back,a verry handsome fellow .My clock is running smoothly for several years now;
    now this fellow has drawers full of parts collected from broken movements , maybe he´s willing to trade a part .He offers his services on evilbay frequently .PM me and I´ll give You the adress.
    Of cause I have no affiliation with hime besides having my clock served by him.
    Burkhard