Grade 192 Elgin Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Don Dahlberg, Jun 6, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    There were four pallets for second model - grade 188 and Third model - grade 192.

According to E & J Swigart Co. "Illustrated Manual for American Watch Movements":

2984 Pallet Fork and Arbor, Single roller, Conical pivot, Sapphire.

2985 Pallet Fork and Arbor, Single roller, Straight pivot, Garnet

2965 Pallet fork and arbor, Double roller, Straight pivot, Sapphire

2803 Pallet fork and Arbor, Double roller, Straight pivot, Combination roller (double roller was one piece)

2310 Pallet Arbor Straight pivot

2631 Pallet Arbor, Conical pivots

I hope this helps more than confuses.

Don Dahlberg

2. Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    You said the watch was 17 jewels, so that means a straight pivot. You did not say if it was single or double roller. If it is double roller, is it a one or two piece double roller? Are these things the same in the parts watch?

I would think that all 2985s would be very close to the same dimensions. From time to time poor watchmakers will break rule number one. They will modify the watch to fit a part. For example, they may file open a the forks to fit a new roller jewel instead of finding a jewel the correct size.

Can you measure the roller diameter and roller jewel diameter on both watches?

3. Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    I checked the Elgin Genuine Materials book at the National Watch and Clock - Library and Research Center (NAWCC). Both grade 192 and 187 take the same pallet, 2985. Once you said straight pivot and single roller, it had to be that one.

One of yours movements appears to have been modified.

When I said measure the rollers and roller jewels, I meant of both watches to see if they are the same. They should be.

Don Dahlberg