• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Got My Shingles Vaccination Yesterday

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Got my second of two shingles shots yesterday. I was good for about 12 hours after which my arm started hurting and then every joint in my body. I couldn’t sleep a wink last night.

Nevertheless, it’s important to get vaccinated against shingles, as getting shingles can be a horribly painful experience. I had gotten the old shingles vaccine many years ago but the old one was only 30% effective. In January of 2017 I got shingles in my left leg. It was strange in that it didn’t hurt at all. However, it created antibodies that attacked the hemoglobin in my blood – the hemoglobin helps transfer oxygen to the blood from the lungs. The normal hemoglobin in a man is between 13.5 and 17.0 gm/dL. Mine was down to 5.0 so my doctor sent me right to the hospital where I spent 8 days there getting two blood transfusions and plenty of acyclovir. When my hemoglobin rose to 7+, they let me go home. It slowly rose back to normal over a couple of months but I was weak during that time – it was tough to climb stairs.

So I’m protected now – I hope. The new shingles vaccine is supposed to be 91% effective. BTW – if you don’t have insurance, it’s $187/shot at CVS. It takes two shots, 2 – 6 months apart.

Frank

Reactions: Dr. Jon

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Got my second of two shingles shots yesterday. I was good for about 12 hours after which my arm started hurting and then every joint in my body. I couldn’t sleep a wink last night.

Nevertheless, it’s important to get vaccinated against shingles, as getting shingles can be a horribly painful experience. I had gotten the old shingles vaccine many years ago but the old one was only 30% effective. In January of 2017 I got shingles in my left leg. It was strange in that it didn’t hurt at all. However, it created antibodies that attacked the hemoglobin in my blood – the hemoglobin helps transfer oxygen to the blood from the lungs. The normal hemoglobin in a man is between 13.5 and 17.0 gm/dL. Mine was down to 5.0 so my doctor sent me right to the hospital where I spent 8 days there getting two blood transfusions and plenty of acyclovir. When my hemoglobin rose to 7+, they let me go home. It slowly rose back to normal over a couple of months but I was weak during that time – it was tough to climb stairs.

So I’m protected now – I hope. The new shingles vaccine is supposed to be 91% effective. BTW – if you don’t have insurance, it’s $187/shot at CVS. It takes two shots, 2 – 6 months apart.

Frank
Thanks for this, Frank. I was not aware of the side effects of shingles that you experienced.

Just wondering if any vaccinations, such as the shingles vaccination or pneumonia vaccination, etc., will require a wait time before one can receive the Covid vaccination.

Regards.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Frank. Its a good vacine to get. yes its not cheap, but good to have. I got mine two years ago. I paid and i have my provincial health care and my own private from my job as well. I paid about 16 Can a shot. after what my insurance paid. My first shot felt like someone punched me, second one not as bad, a bit warm too.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Just wondering if any vaccinations, such as the shingles vaccination or pneumonia vaccination, etc., will require a wait time before one can receive the Covid vaccination.
I was concerned about that myself which is why I got it as soon as I could. When I went in to get the first shot in October, the pharmacist asked if I had gotten another vaccination within the last two weeks. I told her I had gotten the flu shot two days ago. She turned me away, saying I had to wait two weeks. I went home and looked it up on the Internet. It said I could get both shots the same day!

Frank

Rhett Lucke

Board Secretary
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 18, 2001
rrstd.com
Country
While in for my annual physical last October, my Dr. recommended getting both the flu shot (which I normally get) as well as the new shingles vaccine. I ended up getting the flu shot in one arm and the first shingles vaccine in the other with no side affects, other than some very minor soreness in one of the two arms that lasted only a few hours. I later received the second dose of the shingles vaccine with no resulting side affects or soreness.

My wife however, did experience a few more side effects with the shingles vaccine. Shortly after receiving, she developed some redness and more severe soreness in the area around the where the shot was administered. This along with a slight fever and some muscle aches lasted a few days after receiving the first dose. With the second dose, her side effects were reduced significantly in both intensity and duration.

We are both a ways down the priority list, but plan to get the Covid-19 vaccine as soon as we are eligible.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
At 63 years old and a so called essential worker, i hope it wont be long for me to get the covid vacine shot.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Shingles vaccination is free here if you are 70, you have 8 years to get it.

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

Coincidentally, I got my second shingles injection yesterday afternoon as well. With both injections, I had a bit of stiffness and discomfort around the injection site for a day or so. I can already feel yesterday's shot fading away.

Like Frank, having had shingles and still having scars on my left arm from it, I never want to get it again! Medicare paid for my shots.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I haven't had the new shingles vaccine yet but will some time. Frank may remember when we were touring in Italy and I came down with shingles. I had had the vaccine at that time and the case was mild. There was a "best part" to the event. The Italian Health Service takes care of everyone so our hotel called for a doctor and two beautiful young women arrived to take care of me in Tuscany.

Since the shingles was on my scalp and forehead it was a bit scary with the threat of blindness. My overall memory is pleasant. :)

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Tom:

I remember. Fortunately, we had a doctor as a tour participant!

That old shingles shot is no good, as it is only about 30% effective. Get the new one soon!

Frank

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Interestingly, I had to get 2 pneumonia shots a year apart. The first one really hurt, and my arm was sore for a day or two. The second I hardly felt at all.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I got the Prevnar 13 pneumonia shot. It required one or two boosters. It was interesting in that the doctor's office charged Medicare $650 for it, and that didn't include "installation." The nurse charge for installation (injection in my arm) was another $45.

Frank

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
Yes---the new Shingles shot is supposed to be way more effective and Doctors are highly suggesting that we take it Keep in mind it is a two part vaccine.

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
I had the shingles and flu vaccine on the same day last year. Free here if you are 70.

Michael