Got My Covid Vaccination on Monday

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I got my Covid vaccination on Monday from a local drugstore -- Walgreens (I don't know if they are a national chain -- I'm in northeastern Ohio). My wife went to Walgreens online on Friday evening and they had three openings on Monday, the first day for us 70+ year olds. So I took one of them. They automatically set an appointment for the second dose. I have to say that it was a completely painless, uneventful process. I barely felt the needle go into my arm. Absolutely no side effects, soreness or uncomfortable feelings since. It left no bruise -- not a red or black mark at all and I was able to press on the spot the same day with my finger without feeling any pain. I got the Phizer variety. I strongly recommend that everyone get the vaccination.

As for you conspiracy theorists -- I don't believe that there was a microchip in the vaccine to allow the government to control me, as my political affiliations remain the same as they were before! <grin>

Frank

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Absolutely no side effects, soreness or uncomfortable feelings since.
Frank,

My understanding is the second shot is the one that usually has the short term flu like side effects.

Did you need to let Walgreens (yes, they are a national chain) know about the shingles vaccination you received in early January?

Regards.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Congrats on securing a vaccination for you and your Mrs Frank.

We're starting to see some significant mutations. New coronavirus variant: What is the spike protein and why are mutations on it important?

Wear a mask and act as though you've not been immunized would be my advice. If you are exposed, hopefully the vaccination will ensure that you only develop a mild case of the disease if any at all.

The drug companies may need to design, test and manufacture booster shots and "updated" vaccines sooner rather than later.
Too many people just don't it seriously and the more the virus replicates, the more chances it has to become a bigger problem. I just wish we were a fact-and-science based population again. It would seem that the Internet has had a negative impact on our collective intelligence. How could that happen in the "Information Age". Perhaps "Misinformation Age" would be more accurate.

Stay safe

Bruce

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Did you need to let Walgreens (yes, they are a national chain) know about the shingles vaccination you received in early January?
Yes -- they wanted to know if the shingles shot was at least two weeks prior to the Covid shot. Personally, I think they are just playing it safe. When I got my shingles shot, they wanted me to wait two weeks after the flu shot before they would give it to me. So I had to go home and wait. I checked the Internet and it says you can get both the flu and shingles shot on the same day -- and I now know people who have gotten both at the same time. But you can't argue with the pharmacist!

Frank

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Well, you can but it's not an argument you're likely to win. Especially if it's with someone who administers your "shots".

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
There are actually some good authoritative places on line with info about the Covid-19 vaccines. I would suggest checking them to see if one's questions/concerns are addressed rather than depending upon Bolognebook, rumor, conspiracy theory sites and innuendo.

This is the CDC website:

Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination | CDC

See also:

Get the facts about COVID-19 vaccines - Mayo Clinic

Finally:

COVID-19 Vaccines: Myth Versus Fact | Johns Hopkins Medicine

I should add that Johns Hopkins has the best website for objective scientific information about Covid-19. They have no political agenda to foist:

Home - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center (jhu.edu)

A week ago, I got dose # 2 of the Moderna vaccine. No problems except for some injection site soreness for about 24 hours. I do realize that some folks feel unwell after.

RM

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Bolognebook, rumor, conspiracy theory sites and innuendo.
...Farcebook or Twitpage

This is the CDC website:
Is the CDC trustworthy again? They've had some challenges recently.
I should add that Johns Hopkins has the best website for objective scientific information about Covid-19.
I believe that, especially as it pertains to what is solidly known. One step at a time, but the virus will evolve/mutate. Both Pfizer and Moderna are working on boosters in an effort to account for variants. Here's one link to the story by Reuters, Pfizer working on booster shot to protect against COVID-19 variants
or you can do your own search for trusted sources. One step at a time I suppose, but SARS CoV-2 seems to be winning so far. Even my 5 year-old granddaughter said "The Virus is taking too long. I want to go on vacation." :)

My wife and I are 66 & 65. We've managed to get appointments during the last week in February. The way things have gone in Pennsylvania, I'll believe it when I feel it in my arm.

Bruce

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
...Farcebook or Twitpage

Is the CDC trustworthy again? They've had some challenges recently.

I believe that, especially as it pertains to what is solidly known. One step at a time, but the virus will evolve/mutate. Both Pfizer and Moderna are working on boosters in an effort to account for variants. Here's one link to the story by Reuters, Pfizer working on booster shot to protect against COVID-19 variants
or you can do your own search for trusted sources. One step at a time I suppose, but SARS CoV-2 seems to be winning so far. Even my 5 year-old granddaughter said "The Virus is taking too long. I want to go on vacation." :)

My wife and I are 66 & 65. We've managed to get appointments during the last week in February. The way things have gone in Pennsylvania, I'll believe it when I feel it in my arm.

Bruce
Yes, the CDC is a relatively worthy source of vaccine information. I've read it. I would trust it so much more than most of what is out there. They are basing their information about side effects, efficacy, etc. based upon the clinical trials that have been done...science.

A real shame how people of science, including Fauci and the CDC, were expected to be subservient to political whims and fantasies rather than fact based science. But, to coin a phrase, I think we've turned the corner.

This whole thing has been a learning experience, and a hard one, for all health care professionals, scientists, and epidemiologists. By the way, many health care professionals have fallen ill and even died as a result of caring for others stricken with it. It's a new disease in humans that jumped species just > a year ago. So it goes without saying that one can only hope to access what is known based upon a relatively meager experience of about 1 year or educated guesses based upon the body of knowledge pertaining to the biology of other Corona viruses and other viruses in general.

Honestly, these are new vaccines! There are a # of unknowns, including long term efficacy, transmission reduction and yes, efficacy in the face of the emergence of new strains via mutation which was inevitable. That's what viruses do. That is why, fundamental basic proven common sense cost effective public health measures are still essential. They include masks, spacing, handwashing. Enough of the BS otherwise. Not the time to stop because we're tired of it. As that happens, the virus really will (has?) won.

Vaccine development is also often based upon best guesses based upon the then current body of knowledge. The best example of this is influenza. This year's vaccine was based upon educated guesses made last year about what strains would predominate. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not so close and that year's vaccine is not as efficacious as hoped.

I think we are going to be dealing with this for a long time. Many more will become ill and, sadly, perish.

RM

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
This a strange duck. I was rear ended on the interstate Dec 22nd at 70mph in my work van and it was totaled. I did not think I was hurt and would not go to the hospital from fear of the virus. Seven days later on of my wife's co workers did not quarantine herself (as per CDC guidelines) after being exposed to some one with it and spread it to her fellow workers and of course i contracted it from her. I was one of the lucky ones who only had flu like symptoms and a low grade fever. I am only 56 and my wife is 62 but my symptoms were worse than hers. We went the extra mile and quarantined ourselves for two weeks after the symptoms started. If people would just do the simple things that are advised we could really stop the spread of this crap. As far as microchips go I just not that damned important in the scheme of things.

Reactions: Bruce Alexander

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Got my first dose two weeks ago, had a sore arm and a small headache for a day, otherwise, no issues. Get the second one next week. My daughter in law had the second dose last week and said she felt pretty crummy for a couple of days, I usually don't have reactions but my wife does so we shall see. Next will be the shingles vaccine.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
If people would just do the simple things that are advised we could really stop the spread of this crap.
Amen to that steamer. Good to hear that you've fully recovered with no lingering effects. I've heard some reports of Subclinical infections. My wife read an account of one person who had some type of physical trauma only to discover Covid-19 lung damage upon imaging of the area. Don't skip your next Physical Exam.
Next will be the shingles vaccine.
One of our daughter's co-workers lost sight in an eye after developing a very nasty case of Shingles.
I've had the new "double tap" shingles vaccination. The annual Flu Vaccine usually has a very mild effect on me, but Shingles gave me a fairly sore shoulder, general aches and a mild fever for about 36-48 hours. I just took some OTC NSAIDs and got through it okay. My wife experienced some nausea as well. I hope your sailing is smoother. I think that the most serious risk is an allergic reaction. Those normally develop quickly. Anyone administering these vaccinations will be trained and equipped to treat you on the spot. After that, they can use the microchip to observe and track your every move. It might be a good idea to pick up some extra Reynolds Wrap on the way home. :chuckling:

Take care,

Bruce

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Over here my partner who has an auto immune disease (AS) and has injections to suppress his immune system has his first jab on monday, AZ.

He is in priority group 4, under 80 but clinically extremely vulnerable. I was in group 6, 16-65 and Clinically Vulnerable (Asthma) but have been downgraded to group 7, under 65. I will get my first jab in late feb early March.

We rarely go out so that's not a problem.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Jane and I are in the over 75 group, but Massachusetts is using local distribution and large centers at Gillette and Fenway. The neighboring communities seem to be getting allocations of 12 doses which evaporate quickly. We are registered with a nearby town that posted a sign up list but since we do not live there we will probably not be invited until they run out of residents over 75.

We are feeling good and stay home so are not particularly anxious to get the vaccine. Our 16 year old grandson will be spending a week with us the end of March. We expect to have completed our vaccinations before then. We should be called before the end of February.

We seem to have quite a few friends who have not been to a grocery store in almost a year now.

When I was being transferred home after my year in Korea in 1957 the base was hit with Swine Flu which was very new at the time. Almost everyone got it. I was running a fever of 103 and got the standard ice bath treatment and was put in the infirmary. I was supposed to pick up my transfer papers the next morning. I really did not want to miss that.

I got up in the middle of the night and helped myself to a half pint of Ethylene Codeine and 15 APC tablets. The doctor was shaking his head when he examined me the next morning with no fever and no signs of distress. I was pretty uncomfortable on the way from Yokohama to San Francisco on the troop ship, but I felt OK by the time we got there. My theory is that influenza now recognizes me as a relative and does not give me a hard time each year. Although I do still get the vaccinations.

Last edited:

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena
Country
Region
Any organization's handling of a serious crisis can be, and usually is, second-guessed. That's why I am not at all surprised that COVID vaccination efforts are being lambasted as a debacle. Frankly, it's amazing that vaccines could be developed so quickly -- remember, there still isn't one for, e.g., AIDS -- and that more than a million people a day are being vaccinated in the US. Some other countries are doing even better.

However, I do think the nation urgently needed a single vaccine appointment registry. The reality is that most people who want the vaccine are having to undertake repetitive searches with multiple vendors to get an appointment if they are lucky, or wait in endless lines.

Every day for a few days, I checked multiple locations of Kroger and Albertsons pharmacies, as well as my primary doctor, three hospitals, etc., to no avail. But I was lucky. My city, Pasadena, has its own public health department. It created a website on which one could register and be notified of vaccination opportunities. My wife and I registered. We easily got appointments when we received notice of an opportunity. We got the Moderna vaccine (no side effects yet, except for slightly bruised arms for a few days). We're a few weeks away from shot two for which we already have appointments.

If Pasadena can make vaccination so easy to get, so can other jurisdictions. And some other places are making it easy. We got a call from the Inyo County health department today offering us vaccinations (we have a second home in the Sierras in Inyo County). So, perhaps the roll-out really is a debacle in some places.

Stay safe.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Matthew's jab was very straight forward, I parked in the car park guided by masked volunteers, Matthew put his mask on to arrive 5 mins before his appt, he was back in 15 mins. He said it was well spaced out. The centre was in what we call a cottage hospital, a small unit with limited services and no ED. He was a bit off colour the next day but fine now.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Does that mean he swore a lot the next day? o_O

Frank
No more than usual!

He said it felt like he was having an AS flare up, but it passed. We weren't sure what to expect as he had his immuno suppressant injection the day before so it was quite encouraging that he managed an immune response to the vaccination at all. Positive sign that his immune system might remember how to respond to an infection should he get covid.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I would like to have my vacination. Seems it may not happen till Christmas. I am a so called essential worker, and i only know of a few nurses who have gotten theirs. If i get it by Christmas, i will be surprised, by the way things are going in Canada.

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
Got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine a week ago at the local county Health Department and get the second on the 24th. The process went fairly smoothly. I had made an appointment that morning for the 12:30-1:00pm time and got there at almost 12:30, Every step was done while I sat in my car. Checked in and my name was marked off a list, was directed to back into a numbered parking space (no easy feat for me since my neck is stiff and won't turn side to side easily--glad for a back-up camera) , someone came by and asked a few questions and put a card on the windshield, waited a bit and another person came and gave me the shot and told me to wait 15 minutes and when the time was up another person took the card off the windshield and told me to leave. I am experiencing some trouble with my left thumb, pain in the joint when I try to pick up and hold things, cups etc.. I am left handed so that is an inconvenience. The info sheet I got said one side effect is joint pain, but I don't know if the vaccine caused it. Then on Friday I had a sore throat which seemed to be on one side and that developed into a head cold. I can't blame that on the vaccine since I could have picked up the cold somewhere else because I did some shopping after the shot.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Common cold is the most common Corona Virus. Humanity made peace with it a long time ago. The result with Covid 19 may eventually be the same.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I heard yesterday that a person tested positive for COVID-19 a couple of weeks after getting his second injection. Go figure. :?|

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I was told by our local health dept for three months after having the disease I would still test positive because of the antibodies still in my system. This may have something to do with the vaccine activating your immune responses.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I could be wrong, but i dont think the vacine is to stop getting it. But if you do, it wont be so severe. Like getting a flu shot.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I'm 79, got my second shot yesterday, (Moderna) and about 24 hours later so far, just soreness in my arm from the injection, same as first time. No other symptoms. Yet.
(This may be my last post!) ;)

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I got my shot one week ago. New Hampshire has state run sites. It was a bit complex but I got my shot at my car. Igot out to stand up to enable the person giving the shot to be more comfortable.

I have had some effects:

1) I had a sore arm the next day
2) I had mild fever like symptoms for the day after
3) I do some yoga with a lot of balance work and my balance has been off. It is almost back a week later.

My balance for walking around has been fine, and without doing these balance challenge sequences, I would not have noticed any effect.

My take is that if you are having balance issues you may be more prone to tripping and falling for at least a week. This is based on the idea that I am normal and typical.

From an NAWCC point f view based on our demographic, we should be able to at least do outdoor events by late May.

Even with a single shot you are almost certainly not gpiong to get a hospitalization level case if you get one at all. The preliminary data on new strains is that they may infect vaccinated people, but not make them sick enough to be in serious danger.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Dr. John, which vaccine did you get?
I am interested in each vaccine and how it affects each individual.

I could be wrong, but i dont think the vacine is to stop getting it. But if you do, it wont be so severe. Like getting a flu shot.
It's job is to get your immune system to create antibodies to help your body fight it with less serious effect to yourself.
If one thinks of the immune response as being what makes you sick then the vaccine takes much of that work out of the equation.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I got the Moderna.

The idea of a vaccine to prevent getting the disease is not quite correct. The idea is that if you get it, it does not make you sick ,or kill you. It may be a distinction without meaning. It depends on what is meant by getting the disease. The "line" at present is that with full vaccination you can still be a carrier without symptoms.

All I "know" is what I read on sites I tend to believe.

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
So in the true definition of a vaccine, is the Astra-Zeneca, Moderna, Pfizer "vaccines" really a vaccine?

If not then what should it be called?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
So in the true definition of a vaccine, is the Astra-Zeneca, Moderna, Pfizer "vaccines" really a vaccine?

If not then what should it be called?
Yes of course they are. They all prepare the body's immune system for an infection it has not seen before so that the immune system can produce antibodies as soon as the infection occurs and before it can take hold.

This may mean fast enough to prevent any symptoms at all, or a more mild/short lived version of the infection. That all depends on the efficacy of the vaccination, any mutation of the virus, the effectiveness of the patient's immune system.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
We've had our Pfizers a couple of weeks ago at a local place who do them once contacted. Slightly sore arm for a day.
Final jab is early April, but we'll still stick to masks and keeping distances. We're both in late seventies.

Reactions: Missy

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Received the 2nd shot last Wednesday. Only side effects either time was a little soreness in my arm for about a day or less, at the injection point.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Got my 2nd Pfizer shot today, so far same as the last time, sore arm only, wait and see what happens over the next 24 hours.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Got my second Pfizer shot yesterday, Mar 1. Again, absolutely no side effects. Arm not sore, no bruising. Later that day I pressed hard on my arm where the needle went in. No pain whatsoever. Now I can attend chapter and regional meetings!

Frank

Reactions: Rhett Lucke

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hopefully once finally jabbed next month we'll be able to go camping around the country :p If Boris says so.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looks like July 1 st, will get my first shot for covid, i am in the 60 and over group. Young people will have to wait a very long time for theirs , here in Canada.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Hopefully once finally jabbed next month we'll be able to go camping around the country :p If Boris says so.

Wrong season for shooting or he would be all over it.

Had my first AZ last Thursday, second in May I expect.

Rhett Lucke

Board Secretary
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 18, 2001
rrstd.com
Country
Got my second Pfizer shot yesterday, Mar 1. Again, absolutely no side effects. Arm not sore, no bruising. Later that day I pressed hard on my arm where the needle went in. No pain whatsoever. Now I can attend chapter and regional meetings!

Frank
Glad to hear you've been able to get both shots with no real side effects. Hopefully these vaccines are our ticket that allows chapter, regional and national meetings to resume.

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
My brother and I got to visit our sister yesterday at the skilled facility she is in. She has Parkinson's disease and fell and broke a bone in her thigh the Friday before Thanksgiving and was operated on the next day and sent to an assisted living facility.. After she had been there about two weeks the woman in the same room tested positive for Covid and sister was exposed and developed a case. She was treated in the facility for a while and then became worse so she was sent to a local hospital but not to the one our niece wanted her taken too. So, no one knew where she was for half a day; the ambulance had dumped her at a another hospital and left here there and she didn't have her cell phone with her.. Niece finally found where she was and who was treating her. It was good that she was taken to the other larger hospital and was properly treated, but dumping her at the wrong place is galling. Anyhoo, they finally decided that relatives could visit for a short while this week. All three of us were required to wear masks and stay 6 feet apart, after temperature check and the covid quiz for us two. We could barely see her face with most of it covered by the mask and the blanket she was covered with since we had to be outside for the visit. Both of us, brother and me, have been vaccinated

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
We kept waiting for our local facility to get some doses in January. We are in the over 75 group but did not want to drive an hour to Gillette for the vaccinations. We never could get on a list in the Devens facility 3 miles away. We finally got appointments in downtown Boston by signing up with United Way as helpless elders and they got us two appointments two weeks ago for this next Sunday.

Then last Wednesday a friend here in town called to alert us that our local Council on Aging had a dozen shots available for this week. They are giving the shots where my friends and I played bridge each week here in town. Jane and I are getting ours tomorrow and I cancelled the appointments downtown.

I wish they could have been sooner but it is the best possible place for convenience.

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
The powers that be should have looked back at the system for polio vaccines--no e-mails, computers, cell phones, then. We went to the local high school on a Saturday or Sunday after noon, lined up and got jabbed in the arm for the first vaccine and then went back later for the sugar cube version. I had one of the vaccines again when I enlisted in the Air Force in 1957. I may be having selective memories but things although slower seemed to work better then.

bobby2003

NAWCC Member
Nov 1, 2010
Country
We didn't have facebook back then. Also the rise of anti-vaxxers came much later.
Actually you are totally wrong about "anti-vaxxers".

There were several anti vaccination organizations that were formed around the end of the 19th century as a result of small pox vaccinations. I don't know why you wouldn't want to be vaccinated myself, but People refusing vaccinations is hardly a new concept.

This seems like a decent history of the subject.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
My sister is 54 and has her first jab Monday, they certainly seem to be getting through them quickly now. I don't know when my second will be, Matthews is 1st of May I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre