Got Caught by Inexperience With New Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Special Ed, Mar 5, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    We had one person a while back that had a Colonial mfg clock, that was obviously
    made around the middle of the 1920's.
    She said that it had been passed down as an antique, made sometime
    in the 1870's or so.
    She said we were calling her ancestors lyers. We suggest that there was some
    mistake. She went away, clearly insulted.
    It takes all kinds.
    Tinker Dwight

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User

Oct 5, 2007
    #22 George Nelson, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Hi, Clock Collecting Friends,

One thing worth mentioning about this clock and its particular movement: be certain to examine both winding clicks! I have had two of these clocks over the years, given to me by friends who were certain that they were old, and who bought them as gifts for me at a good price, thinking they had found true bargains.

Anyway, I have found that on the two examples with this same movement, the clicks were factory "lubricated" with something other than oil. Apparently, some type of thin petroleum jelly product was used instead. The problem here is that this jelly lubricant gets thick over the years, and messes up the click. On two occasions with both clocks, I was winding them and the clicks failed to lock into place. The results, of course, were disastrous!

In the first case, the spring exploded out the side of the case, destroying the clock and giving me a couple of very sore fingers! One would think that I would have learned from my first experience, but no, idiot me did not properly clean and oil the other clock to correct the problem. I didn't keep them running much, only winding them when the friends who gave me the clocks were coming over for a visit.

So, in the second case, I was happily winding away when the click on this second clock also got stuck, this time both destroying the clock and breaking two of my fingers! Pieces of the schoolhouse-style case were all over the room. My fingers were in casts for five weeks, making it difficult at best to wind any of my clocks. (My beloved wife, a genuine treasure but not a clock fan, most wholeheartedly appreciated the weeks of silence in the house.):rolleyes: In both cases, the clicks failed when the movements were almost fully wound. Thirty one day movements both, with large, powerful springs. Sigh...

In conclusion, let me say: Enjoy your clock, for it is indeed attractive, but do please check on the winding clicks every now and then. Hopefully, yours is lubricated with the proper oil and not some "junk jelly." If not, clean it off with alcohol and lubricate with a proper clock oil.

Peace and happy, healthy fingers to all,

George Nelson

3. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    One thing to do is listen to your clock while winding.
    You should hear a good solid click. A soft sound can be an
    indication of problems.
    Tinker Dwight

4. George Nelson

Oct 5, 2007
    Well said, Tinker Dwight! I should have been listening as I wound-I certainly have enough experience to know better! :whistle:

Best to all,

George

5. Special Ed

Special Ed Registered User

Feb 27, 2017
    Thank you for the stories and the lessons learned.

zedric, I do (lucky for other collectors) have scruples and they're especially scruply when it comes to collecting. Last year I shredded a David Burliuk painting I bought (sold as real Burliuk) after learning it was a forgery simply because I felt it was my duty to remove this fake art work from existence rather than allowing it to cause more problems later. I think it does a disservice to the artist to allow people to pass off forgeries as the real thing.

I bought the clock because I thought it was a nice looking clock and sounded wonderful. Yeah, it isn't 120 years old but neither am I so it's ok in my book :)

George - thank you for the story. I hope I have now learned from your very painful mistake. I will take yours and Dwight's advice and listen.

Dwight - I do recall it sounding crisp when I wound it the other day but I'll check it again when next I wind her up.

6. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    Also, back it down onto the click slowly. Take your time winding.
    You don't want to tempt the click to fail by pounding it.
    Think in terms of your finger between the click and ratchet
    when you back off after each wind.
    Tinker Dwight

7. George Nelson

Oct 5, 2007
    Again, perfect advice from Tinker!!! Well said again.

George

8. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Here's a picture of a clock that I had a few years back that I believe was of Japanese origin. And it did have a nice old movement. I'm just comparing clock cases now and yours seems very similar to this one?[​IMG] Anyway, I think your carved clock case is a good looking one, but I'd throw a different pair of hands on the dial.

Blindraccoon aka Laurie

Attached Files:

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Japanese clocks are as well made as many American made clocks, there is a big difference beteen Japanese and Korean made clocks. I personally like Japanese clocks.

10. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Kevin, I agree. I too like Japanese clocks... but they often get a bad rap.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed Registered User

Feb 27, 2017
    Laurie, my clock does look like it could be your old clock's sister from another Mister. I agree about the hands and am going to buy a different pair.

12. blindraccoon

blindraccoon Donor

Jun 6, 2014
    Great sense of humor :thumbs_up: