Goos People Spray

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Wanted to share this one. One of my customers gave me this Howard Miller T&S wall clock. When I pulled the movement out I found it caked with a grease that was evidently sprayed through the key holes. I suspect it's either old or some form of lithium grease. It has a consistency of peanut butter. I guess I'll use maybe some brake cleaner. Curiously, the plate nuts were loose.

20171023_183638.jpg 20171023_183618.jpg 20171023_183709.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
From your title, I thought maybe you found a new brand of spray lube made by a company called "Goos".:whistle:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Don’t know what it was sprayed with, maybe WD40, but I would take it apart, clean with brake cleaner or naphtha first, and then put in ultrasonic for a thorough cleaning.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
"I looked in there, and all them gears were dry as a bone! No wonder it wouldn't run! I oiled 'er up real good with a spray can but she still won't run. Time to toss 'er, I guess!"

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
These movements usually last longer than Hermle's 3 train movements. But you can bet, that at 37 years, it will need some repair work.
Willie X

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
This stuff came off using some brake cleaner and some napha helped some but simple green and my little ultrasonic did the rest. I did not do the mainsprings because I still lack a winder. I cleaned the barrels by hand and figure they can be removed later. I polished the pivots and no bushings were needed. I've got it running but tilted on the wall. This case is a bear. The bezel opens from the bottom up and makes it difficult to wind and adjust. The worst is the bottom does not open at all! This means you have to remove it from the wall to even regulate the pendulum! I'll get her in beat eventually. I'm still learning and enjoy making old things work again. This will be my sixth striker on the wall.

20171102_181343.jpg 20171102_181422.jpg 20171103_182129.jpg

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I think it wasn't run much due to the difficult case it's in. The only hole that shows wear is the verge and it was very little. Must have done something wrong though, the clock runs good but the hands stop moving after about twenty minutes :( . Well I'm learning.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Steamer, does the minute hand turn easily or is it tight when you advance it by hand? If it turns very easily, you may need to bend the tensioner spring under the motion works on the front of the movement. That may be why the hand stops. Does it stop at about 10 before the hour or the half hour? That's usually when the strike train goes into warn and more power I needed to lift the warn lever.

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Steamer, does the minute hand turn easily or is it tight when you advance it by hand? If it turns very easily, you may need to bend the tensioner spring under the motion works on the front of the movement. That may be why the hand stops. Does it stop at about 10 before the hour or the half hour? That's usually when the strike train goes into warn and more power I needed to lift the warn lever.
Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the movement tomorrow and check the tensioner

chiminIn

Aug 17, 2016
China Grove, N. C.
Country
Region
I bought a New Haven gingerbread with alarm that was doing the same thing as you describe, hands stop moving, clock keeps running. after oiling and eliminating alarm as possible problem, I removed brass spacer between tapered pin and minute hand and that solved my problem. If yours has thumbscrew try loosening that some. Worth a try. just chiming in with what helped me.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It would be worth trying a coned hand washer over your minute hand to see if that would solve the issue without separating the plates again.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
It would be worth trying a coned hand washer over your minute hand to see if that would solve the issue without separating the plates again.
I have worked on that movement before, but I don't remember where the tensioner spring is. I think it is behind the motion works and not between the plates. Hopefully he will not need to separate the plates.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
This thread has now wandered so far from the original subject that, in the future, no one will think of looking here for the helpful advice given on fixing the hands.

Just my opinion.

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
This thread has now wandered so far from the original subject that, in the future, no one will think of looking here for the helpful advice given on fixing the hands.

Just my opinion.

JTD
That happens pretty often, JTD. Usually one concern leads to another and then another. A good search engine should be able to sort it all out though ;)

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
Thanks for all the replies, I came home today and the clock had stopped. I pulled the movement out and put it in a stand and found I need to do more work. I can turn the minute hand and all is well, smooth and chimes on the half and correct count on the hour. I think I need to look at the clutch. Also I have a deformed tooth on the escape wheel so the plates are coming back apart. When took it apart the first time I checked all the trains with the barrels out and no very much play in the pivot holes but, did not check the barrel plate holes themselves and the time side needs to be bushed. I feel awful that I was not more observant but hopefully mistakes like this will make me more cautious. Thanks to all for your help and I'll let you know what I find.

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I tore this thing back apart and found that the spring barrels seem loose on the sleeves. The numbers are 21 and 20. I have researched on here and have see references to them being basically the same, true? Time savers has only one of them (21) available. I have a bushing machine on the way and plan on bushing the winding pivot and the second wheel also needs one. I inspected the clutch and it looks good. When I get it back together I'll figure that one out.

Reading this post again let me be clear that when a customer gave me this clock I meant from my other business. I am learning to repair as a hobby and not for sale. I know this movement is probably best thrown away but I figured it was a good one to learn on without hurting even an ogee movement and get a little hermle experience at the same time. Thanks to all for the help.
That was one nasty clock movement! Don't know what it was but if after 37 years there was no need to pivot and bushing work I guess it did no harm.

RC
You were right, I need to take my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry