Good reason to keep dead quartz movements

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Chris, Mar 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    South Easton, MA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, you might call me a hoarder, but I don't toss old black box battery movements. Sometimes I clean out the battery acid and get them running to reuse. Other times, I find a good use for some of the parts.

Yesterday, the hoard came in real handy. I have an electric clock in for repair with an Ingraham model 17 movement. If you've worked on one, you know there is a cardboard gear, not a bakelite gear in there. This gear was completely bad, so the clock didn't run. I popped open a couple junk black boxes and lo and behold, there was a perfect size plastic gear in there! A little epoxy and now it works again!

One man's trash is truly another man's treasure.

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to know, Chris! I had, before now, trashed my inoperative battery movements. Thanks for the tip!!!

George

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Not just quartz watch and clock movements but any bit of what is otherwise trash may be utilised to repair things. You get an eye for what trash is useful after a while. You also get a sense of overkill of trash collecting or your wife tells you.