Good Quartz Mantel or Wall Clock Recommendations

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by SpaceCowboy850, Nov 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpaceCowboy850

SpaceCowboy850 Registered User

Oct 29, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I know the topic is general, but I've been searching for a good clock for my mantel or on the wall nearby. I actually bought an atmos because I love the movement and the idea behind it, but I'll be damned if I can read the thing from across the room. The center hole makes the hands just sort of disappear in the movement. So that's going up to my office instead.

So now I'm still in search of a good mantel clock. I seriously considered a 400 day mechanical for a long time, but finally decided that if I have to adjust it every month or so and wind it 3-4 times a year it wasn't going to work for me (well, it wasn't going to work in the living room where my wife will want to know the time and might not have the same appreciation of the beauty of the movement that I might). I love how beautiful they look running, but I need something more consistent and less maintenancey.

Which leads me to quartz. I generally sort of look down on them a bit unless they have some sort of "something" to separate them from a standard quartz movement. For instance I have an atomic hito digital clock in the bedroom, but it has an auto-night light that comes on so we can easily read it at night, it is atomic, so always accurate down to the second, shows internal temperature and humidity etc.

Now, every clock doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles, but I'm looking for something that just sets it apart a bit. Currently I'm leaning towards maybe a clock with a smooth second sweep, but the seiko I was looking at sounded like it's quality wasn't quiet good and it would give out after a while and no longer be silent.

I've also considered a atomic analog clock with a silent ticker. A silent smooth sweep second would be cool on an atomic, but I haven't found one that is like that yet.

I considered a weather station, but I think it might be a bit busy and not fit for the mantel.

I considered a quartz anniversary, and I still might, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the torsion spinning needlessly as just a sort of "effect" that doesn't do anything.

I eventually want a cuckoo clock, but don't think it would look good in the living room.

So I'm here asking - is there any cool mantel clocks with that extra something special? Feels like most of the stuff I'm seeing on amazon is just your typical quartz movement thrown into various designer frames at varying prices.