• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Good earlier Black Forest mantel clock

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I placed an absentee bid for this clock sold at an auction in MA. It is an older BF clock, probably for the English market. This clock has a nice hand made feel to it, seems easy to make adjustments and runs nice.

The solid brass plate movement has a count wheel configuration, and spring barrels screwed to the back of the front plate, similar to BF wood posted frame movements. Strip steel style verge escapement. Stop works are intact. The movement sits in the case on a fixed seat board, mounted with screws that look like they're designed to be tightened with a clock key....hand tightening for this 135 year old clock is sufficient, though.

The walnut case has brass inlay, with remnants of yellow paint inside the case. The porcelain dial has brown color numerals and chapter ring. The hands and hand nut have nice bluing.

Who made it? Probably a small factory. I'm not sure if Jurgen has an old Winterhalder Hofmeier catalog depicting a similar clock, but a maker like that is not out of the question.

Attachments

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
Indeed, W&H made clocks like that, and the 1890 catalogue sports several
similar ones (pic).
The "Stockuhren" came up around the late 1850s and were offered by a row of
"Forester" makers, such as Andreas Haas, Rupert Maurer, Fidel Hepting, Theodor Ketterer,
Samuel Kammerer and of course, by the Behas.
They had massive movements, some with fusees, some with cuckoos. And, as always,
some were marked...
Wilhelm Schneider's book "Beha-Uhren" shows quite a nice selection of those in color.
The other pics here show a clock by Maurer (c/o Kuss) and a movement by Haas, just
for comparison.
The fixed barrels should give BF experts a clue to the maker and I remember discussing
those with Zep a while back. Alas, I can't remeber, what we concluded. :?|

W&H1890.jpg AHaas.jpg RMaurer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeT
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-