Good book for learning about chronographs?

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Luca, Aug 4, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    I'd like to learn more about how old mechanical chronographs, jump seconds, etc. work, naming of parts and so forth. Especially the pocket watch variety. Anyone have book recommendations that might give me a start?

Luca

2. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might try these two books:

1. Complicated Watches and Their Repair By Donald de Carle, pub by NAG Press, London, England

2. Complicated Watches by Emanuel Seibel and Orville Hagans,
    pub by The Roberts Publishing Co., Denver CO, USA.

3. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    Thanks, I will hunt those down.

Luca

4. Charles E. Davis

Charles E. Davis Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Nov 6, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You will probably also be interested in Richard Watkins translation of "Essay on Repeater Watches."
    It is available along with a lot of other interesting titles on his web page "Watkinsr.id.au/"
    Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA

5. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    Charlie,
    I'll look that one up too.

Thanks,

Luca

6. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

A very good book (but not perfect) is LeCoultre "Guide to Complicated Watches". I think better is Humbert "The chronograph, its mechanism and repair" but I don't think it includes jump seconds (LeCoultre does). Both are better than Decarle and Seibel & Hagans.

Regarding repeaters, I decided my introduction to Crespe was poor and so I have written 2 1/2 articles on repeaters which are much better. They are meant to appear in the Bulletin in the not too distant future.

7. Luca

Luca Registered User

Jan 19, 2004
    Wow, wonderful resource your site! Thanks for all the recommendations. Maybe I can slowly start to understand how these cams, column wheels, springs, etc. work. As much as anything I hope to one day be able to look at a movement and have a better idea as to whether it is complete and what might be wrong or missing. Case in point being a Tiffany split seconds pocket watch with jump seconds that I have. It works only when the jump seconds are engaged - otherwise it quits. I suppose it also needs cleaning and oiling.

Luca