German English Gong and Bellows sequencing on Cuckoo Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by richjfran123, Jan 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. richjfran123

richjfran123 Registered User

Jan 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, it’s a pleasure to be here and thank you in anticipation of your kind assistance. My clock makes the cuc then the koo then the gong sounds. I am certain my striking levers are in correct, As can be seen from the picture. Am I missing something really silly or do some clocks behave in this way?

thanks

Richard

389DDD07-1569-4D7D-927E-90AF47D9C2AA.jpeg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

I am a bit confused as to your question. As I understand your current position, the clock cuckoos and then strikes. Are you meaning you think the cuckoo and the gong should sound together?

JTD

3. richjfran123

Jan 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi JTD
    My apologies. I’ll try to explain again. So the clock strikes on the hour and on the half hour. As it strikes the sequence is cuc then koo then gong. On other cuckoo clocks the sequence is gong, then cuc then koo. Is it normal for different clocks to have a different sequence?

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    afaik there is no fixed rule about what should sound first and what to follow.Remember that the lifting action of both bellows and the strike hammer is governed by the same first or lifting wheel. The sequence is determined by the levers being lifted by the pins of this wheel and depends on the position of the three deviation shafts to each other.I don´t know wether this can be changed at random in a given movement
    Burkhard

5. richjfran123

Jan 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Burkhard
    Thank you for your response. You have settled my mind and happy with the idea that there is no golden rule about the strike sequence. Thanks also to JTD and may I say this is a fantastic forum.

6. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gong, Cuc, Koo

chimeclockfan likes this.