Goldsmith & Silversmith Fusee Clock

classicbike99

Jun 1, 2014
I have come across this clock. It is a bit dirty but otherwise is in fine working order.The case is nothing to write home about a square dark wood box. The movement however is something else. Hidden behind the box is a nice quality movement. It has maintaining power, deadbeat with jewelled pallets. It has balance weights for both hands. The pendulum rod is Inver steel. I would love to place the movement in a glass dome and show it off. The clock goes and has a great beat. I may sell it on.

gOcTYqBuQTmtNUqBfi5sIg.jpg b%pAygjHQvihd6n6kiQirw.jpg BGXTJIwRT86Jbm0IEU+lEQ.jpg eQtvXMu%RQ63lpwIdt4bXg.jpg L4SAIO06ScSmb917l4nN5A.jpg XJdBnnMOTqS1BxFYFuzkKg.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Great movement - could we see the whole clock?

JTD

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
An interesting movement. As it has rear winding presumably the clock wasn't accessible from the front. Typically those have a single dial on the back to set the hands, this one has a 60 minute dial and what appears to be another knob at the top right.

classicbike99

Jun 1, 2014
An interesting movement. As it has rear winding presumably the clock wasn't accessible from the front. Typically those have a single dial on the back to set the hands, this one has a 60 minute dial and what appears to be another knob at the top right.
The Knob above the winder is the screw to keep the pendulum in place if moving. You will see where this screws into just below the hand setting dial. The clock is dated 1928.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Something odd that it is a wall clock with the winding in the back?

classicbike99

Jun 1, 2014
Which is why the case it is now in is not original.
I would have my doubts about the case being original. The gent who owned it said it came out of an office and was in this case. It looks too good to be a court yard clock. I have seen a few clocks where the clock opens out to see the movement. I have never seen a clock with a balance on both hands. Was it built as an exhibition piece?? It is still a great movement and would look good under a dome with a brass chapter ring fitted. It is now for sale as I have seen another clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thequalityone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre