Golden Hour

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
After cleaning and resealing glass to gear ring, Golden Hour runs too fast. Does this mean replace motor?

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
Thanks for the "HERE", I found it very interesting. But, the only suggestion for fast running is the sealing of the glass, which I have already done. It is permantly sealed and tight. Worn teeth apparently would cause running slow. My problem is running fast at the rate of 1/2 minute per hour.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It's rare (I've only seen it once) but a synchonous motor that previously worked fine can run fast. Best test is to try another motor.

coldwar

May 20, 2009
www.hoagsclockshop.com
Country
Thanks for the "HERE", I found it very interesting. But, the only suggestion for fast running is the sealing of the glass, which I have already done. It is permantly sealed and tight. Worn teeth apparently would cause running slow. My problem is running fast at the rate of 1/2 minute per hour.
Bob - Over 60 years of repair and warranty work on these clocks, more then one competant repairman had to have proof glass and gear ring were not operating as a tight unit causing (sometimes variable) gains in timekeeping, and regardless of what work has already happened in the current repair. As a test, remove the glued retainer ring and glass, mark both with a line in exactly the same place with a Sharpie, reinstall and test. It will become quickly evident if glass and gear ring are operating together or separately, when opened and checked after perhaps twenty four hours. This same test mark can be positioned to tip of minute hand to perform a additional test or verifying dial train operation with the rotating glass, if the mark and minute hand tip separate. As info, I have never had a GH motor assy by any of the motor vendors fail with fast or slow running, only stoppage. Any vendor's motor will have clear markings for intended frequency of operation, which you can easily determine - Best ~

Bob Reichel

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Feb 13, 2001
CW: Thank you for your expertise. I understand thoroughly about 60 cycles. In reading you counsel, I could read behind the lines the need to assure full seal between the gear ring, the glass, AND, the minute hand! My mark as you suggested was applied and I found no deviation. But, understanding the third part-the minute hand, I took another twist at assuring the hand nut was tight. I tightened it ever so little more. 48 hours now and good running. Thx, again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller