• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Golden Helm Clock Motor Replacement??

W

westminster

Hi!
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement motor for the "Jefferson" Golden Helm clock?
Thanks and best regards, Jim.

W

westminster

Thanks for the response Chris!

I found this source already, and seems that they only have the motor for the Golden Hour clock... :?|

What we are looking for is the motor for the Golden Helm clock. Different number of teeth...

Any other leads out there??

Thanks, Jim.

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Jim:

What's wrong with the motor? Broken gear or bad electric motor? The Golden Hour movements pop open pretty easily, so if the gears are ok, but the electric motor is dead, perhaps you can use the motor from a Golden Hour and press on the drive gear. Just a thought, Chris

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Chris,

I think I once tried using a Golden Hour movement in a Golden Minute (same as Golden Helm) and it didn't work. I think the gearing within the motors is different, so just replacing the drive gear doesn't work. I could be mistaken--it was a long time ago.

Jeremy

W

westminster

Hello again and thanks for the responses-

I think what we were faced with was a Golden Helm clock with the wrong motor.

We bought the Golden Helm clock at a NAWCC show- we asked the fellow whether it worked, and he said "sure it does!". What we DIDN'T ask was whether it worked and kept correct time!!

Seems he replaced the broken Golden Helm motor with the motor from a Golden Hour clock, and pressed on the gear for the Golden Helm. Gained about an hour a day.

It's a shame that a fellow member would deliberately "mislead" us, but it was a relatively inexpensive lesson in asking all the RIGHT questions....

So right now we might be stuck with an attractive paperweight.

Thanks for the help- any leads on a correct motor are still appreciated!

Best regards to all, Jim.

Jerry Kenney

Jun 18, 2005
Oak Ridge TN
www.clocktools.com
Country
Region
westminster said:
Hi!
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement motor for the "Jefferson" Golden Helm clock?
Thanks and best regards, Jim.
Jim,
A replacement motor is available from Herbach & Rademan. Email is sales@herbach.com. My contact was Jackie Liczbinski. This is a 10 RPH motor. The part number is H1-45. The shaft size is too small so a bushing will have to be added to the old gear. I don't believe there was any other modifications but if there are they will be easy and obvious.
Let me know if you have questions or problems installing.

Jerry

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Jerry,

I just received and installed an H1-45 motor from Herbach & Rademan for my Golden Minute clock. Golden Minute and Golden Helm clocks appear to be identical except for the nautical decoration on the Helm. The clock now runs at twice the correct speed. The old motor is marked 1/12 RPM, which is 5 RPH. The new motor is 10 RPH. Any thoughts?

Jeremy

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jeremy, you have the wrong motor. Call your supplier to see what they can do for you:?|

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Apparently, the correct motor is H1-47. I will order it and let you know if it works.

Jeremy

Golden Hour

Oct 14, 2008
Florida
www.roger-russell.com
Country
Region
The Golden Minute output gear has 36 teeth and runs at 1/12 rpm meshing with 180 teeth in the outer ring gear.

The Golden Hour output gear has 27 teeth and runs at 1/6 rpm and meshes with 270 teeth in the outer ring gear..

If I figure this right, just swapping gears will not work. There is also the inconvenience of the motor gear not meshing properly with the outer ring gear.

The slowest motor at H&R I saw was 3 rpm and is much too fast. and the shaft looks too big besides.

The common problem with the motors is in the gear box and worn gears. I fixed my Golden Minute very easily. See my page at

http://www.roger-russell.com/jeffers/jefmotr.htm#motorgearboxrepair

Attachments

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
I don't remember how I did it, but it must not have been difficult. I don't have a large gear puller, so I must have been able to ease it off with a screwdriver blade or similar.

Northern Helmsman

Jan 25, 2009
Country
Region
Has the H1-47 motor worked satisfactory in the Golden Helm? I have been searching for a replacement motor for years without success. I would be pleased to hear that the H1-47 offers a satisfactory solution.

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Yes, it works fine, except for the slight problem with the fit, as noted above in my 10-15-08 post.

Northern Helmsman

Jan 25, 2009
Country
Region
Yes, it works fine, except for the slight problem with the fit, as noted above in my 10-15-08 post.
The H1-47 motor I ordered from Herbach & Rademan arrived today...but there is a problem. The main drive shaft of the H1-47 is different from the original ....it is larger in diameter and is flat on one side. The drive shaft on the original I have is narrower, round and has a head on it (it looks like a piston). The head of the shaft from the original (the piston) was pressed into the main brass drive gear. Any ideas as to how I may make the new H1-47 work?

Last edited:

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
I won't be home for a few days, but when I return I'll open up my Golden Minute and see what I did to fit the new motor. I'm sure it was not difficult.

Northern Helmsman

Jan 25, 2009
Country
Region
Here is a photo of my old motor from my Golden Helm (on the left) with the drive gear and shaft removed and the new Herbach and Rademan H1-47 motor. The shaft of the new Herbach and Rademan is much smaller in diameter than the large end of the shaft from the old motor. The Herbach and Rademan motor is also flat on one side. The large end of the shaft in the old motor was slightly grooved and was pressed into the drive gear. Any suggestions as to how I may adapt the old drive gear to fit on the new motor or where I may obtain a new gear (36 tooth) that will fit on the shaft of the new Herbach and Rademan H1-47 motor?

Attachments

Rapple

Mar 18, 2009
Country
Region
Hello, My name is Ray and I just discovered your conversation regarding the golden Helm motor replacement. I am also looking to complete the same repair. I look forward to you solutions.

Northern Helmsman

Jan 25, 2009
Country
Region
A few months ago I took my old Golden Helm and my new Herbach and Rademan motor to a local clock repair shop. The owner was quite familiar with the type of clock and offered to see if he could make the new motor work on the old clock by making modifications to it new motor or by using parts from both the old and new motors.

I am pleased to advise that a solution was found and the clock has been working perfectly for some weeks now.

The shaft of the new Herbach and Rademan motor was longer than the shaft from the old motor and had to be cut. Also the shaft of the new motor was smaller in diameter and without splines on it so a friction fit bushing was put on the old shaft which fit snuggly in the old gear.

The body of the new Herbach and Rademan motor is slightly taller than the old and protrude very slightly when the bottom plate is put on.

The attached photos show the new motor in place, the shaft of the new motor in the old gear after it was cut and the bushing pressed in place and a side view of the bottom of the clock showing how it now sticks out ever so slightly.

Needless to say, I am delighted that my old clock is now working like new.

Attachments

jeagan

Feb 21, 2010
Hi,

Timesavers also sells new replacement motors and glass for the Golden Minute and Golden Helm. The motor is about $50 and the glass is about $10.

John.

Pyng123

Aug 24, 2020
Country
A few months ago I took my old Golden Helm and my new Herbach and Rademan motor to a local clock repair shop. The owner was quite familiar with the type of clock and offered to see if he could make the new motor work on the old clock by making modifications to it new motor or by using parts from both the old and new motors.

I am pleased to advise that a solution was found and the clock has been working perfectly for some weeks now.

The shaft of the new Herbach and Rademan motor was longer than the shaft from the old motor and had to be cut. Also the shaft of the new motor was smaller in diameter and without splines on it so a friction fit bushing was put on the old shaft which fit snuggly in the old gear.

The body of the new Herbach and Rademan motor is slightly taller than the old and protrude very slightly when the bottom plate is put on.

The attached photos show the new motor in place, the shaft of the new motor in the old gear after it was cut and the bushing pressed in place and a side view of the bottom of the clock showing how it now sticks out ever so slightly.

Needless to say, I am delighted that my old clock is now working like new.

Pyng123

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Remove the cover over the motor and I think you'll find the motor will fit better.

Pyng123

Aug 24, 2020
Country
My concern has been the heat generated by the H1-47 motor.
Its gets too hot to handle. The original runs much cooler. Someone familar with coils and materials used in the different motors may have an answer. The H1 motor is rated at 4 watts I believe. With the motor cover removed to allow a better fit, it may allow for cooler running.