Gold Tiffany pocket watch identification

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Orcawhale1, Dec 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Orcawhale1

Orcawhale1 New Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi i hope someone on here can help. My partner was given a gold pocket watch when he was born. It says Movado USA 14k gold. 12501, 260217. 17 jewels unadjusted swiss. I've tried looking online there aren't any watches the same as the watch hands are gold. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

20191225_112520.jpg 20191225_112535.jpg 20191225_112542.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC Forum.

Because this is a Swiss watch I am going to move this
    thread to the European section of the forum where it will get proper attention.

Rob

Orcawhale1 likes this.
  3. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OrcaWhale1, your photos are fuzzy. If you can take clear photos, please post them. More important, please explain what "help" you need. If you are seeking to find an exact match to your watch, you likely won't find one, because pocket watches came in a variety of cases, with a variety of dials, a variety of hands, and signed by a variety of jewelers. Thus, for example, if Movados with a similar movement era came in 10 different cases, with 10 different dials, and 10 different types of hands, and were private-labeled by 100 different jewelers, there could have been 100,000 variations.

Orcawhale1 likes this.
  4. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I agree with Ethan above that better pictures would help but in the end, the help we can give you here may not be what you want...also because of what Ethan said. This is sort of a generic watch. I would not be at all surprised to find that Tiffany sold the same movement in different cases and with different dials and hands. Tiffany only had their own watch factory for a short part of their history. Most of their watches were made for them by other manufacturers. Yours was obviously made for them by Movado. I would think from the style that it was probably made in the '20s or 30's. It is in a 14k solid gold case. In the quality range of Tiffany watches it was/is on the lower end. Tiffany private labeled from complicated Patek Phillippe watches on the high side to sort of generic no name watches on the low. In the general quality range of watches your Movado/Tiffany is sort of medium grade. It is a very nice timekeeper but nothing too fancy or high grade. Movado made very good watches.

Anyway, it is defiantly a keeper. It is worth cherishing as an heirloom and it is certainly worth getting cleaned/oiled/adjusted. It, like any Tiffany is a very nice watch.

Orcawhale1 likes this.
  5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pictures are enough to show
    It's a basic model, that is what
    "Unadjusted" means.

I agree it's a good one.

Movado is an interesting maker and was
    Competing well in timing competitions at Neuchatel.

6. Orcawhale1

Orcawhale1 New Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    #6 Orcawhale1, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
    Thank you for your replies. I have no idea about tiffany watches hense me asking you guys about it so I could gain a little bit more info on it.

7. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agree with most posts above. I take minor exception to Mr.Dr. Jon's response. I agree he is correct that this may be kind of a "Basic model" but not necessarily and do not let that bother you. In 1930, the Swiss, to get around duty laws enacted that year, simply marked their adjusted watches "unadjusted" making their watches once again cheaper than usa watches. 25 years later congress got wise and started collecting duties for Swiss watches that were falsely marked "unadjusted".

eri231 likes this.