GOLD PLATING

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by proconsul, Nov 17, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. proconsul

proconsul Guest

Hello,
    I would like to find a source for gold-plating some of my clocks which have lost theirs over the years (especially inexpensively.) I know there are people who advertise in the Mart, but does anyone know of other sources that may be off the beaten path? Also, has anyone tried an at-home method of plating, and, if so, with what results?
    Thanks to all.

Stephen E Marsh

2. proconsul

proconsul Guest

Hello,
    I would like to find a source for gold-plating some of my clocks which have lost theirs over the years (especially inexpensively.) I know there are people who advertise in the Mart, but does anyone know of other sources that may be off the beaten path? Also, has anyone tried an at-home method of plating, and, if so, with what results?
    Thanks to all.

Stephen E Marsh

3. MikeP

MikeP Guest

I've tried gold electro plating in my shop which is pretty easy but I have been decidedly unimpressed for clocks. It is not bright "gilded-looking" like the process that was used on old clocks. I believe the old process used mercury which, of course, is not used today.

I'm sure someone else will be much more knowledgeable on this subject...