• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Gold-Gilded Ansonia Crystal Regulator

Sobie-one-canobie

Jan 11, 2010
Illinois
Country
Region
Hello,

I purchased an Ansonia Crystal regulator at the NAWCC National show in Overland Park Kansas.

The gold finish has rubbed off over time. I would like to restore the finish such that it looks as close to "new" as possible.

Do i need to remove all of the original finish or can i just clean the casting and apply the new gold paint over the old finish?

I plan to use a gold paint that can be found at Michaels craft stores that looks pretty close to a real gold color. I have used Krylon 18k Gold paint before and would be another alternative although it loses it's luster when you apply clear coat over it.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
I have never seen any of the gold paint on products work well. If you plan to do it yourself, I would recommend gold gilting vs. a paint on.

The proper way is to have it gold plated, but it is getting very hard to find anyone who does this type work these day. Plus it is a very expensive proposition.

Here is one I used the gold gilt process on:

Attachments

Sobie-one-canobie

Jan 11, 2010
Illinois
Country
Region
That piece is absolutely stunning! Beautiful!!! You did an excellent job!

So, you mean to guild it with actual rolled gold sheets, right?

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
Thank You~ My clock was a real mess when my wife acquired it. You are correct, and it is with the gold leaf. I think I either got those in Michaels or Hobby Lobby one. I do not think they are real gold but artificial gold leafs.

You may have to practice with it some until you get the knack of it. You pretty much apply it as described with the directions. My clock case was very detailed, and I applied with small pieces cut from each leaf. You will use wax paper to lay over the leaf and then cut the size piece you need and apply it with the wax paper against your finger tip. Most of my application was with my fingers, but there are spots and times when a lager artist brush is handy to remove the excess flakes or to get into crevices. Later you will coat it with the sealer.

You can buy the kit which contains the glue, leafs, and the sealer. I found it cheaper to buy the individual components separately.

Have fun since it is a rewarding project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lurch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent