Gold Figure Clock

NVPete

Sep 10, 2020
Country
IMG_20200910_101408.jpg IMG_20200910_101430.jpg IMG_20200910_101203.jpg

I inherited this clock, and would like to know more about it. My father told me it is French, from the mid to late 1800s, and from the few similar clocks I found online, I think that's correct.

I can't find any writing on it, only a stamped serial number on the movement, and a hand engraved number on the case.

It is running, and so far keeps reasonable time.

I'm confused about why it has two winding-stems - maybe one is for the movement and one is for the chime?

Any tips on preventative maintenance, winding procedure, or anything else?

Thanks!

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

My father told me it is French, from the mid to late 1800s, and from the few similar clocks I found online
It most likely is French, and most likely of that period, but we will need to see a clear picture of the back of the movement to possible identify and date the movement. To do so, you will need to remove the bell.

I'm confused about why it has two winding-stems - maybe one is for the movement and one is for the chime?
One winding arbor is for the time and one arbor is for the strike. Your clock does not chime. Chiming is the playing of musical notes, usually on the quarter hour. Strike means that it strikes the bell to indicate the hour and possibly the half hour.

Any tips on preventative maintenance, winding procedure, or anything else?
If you are not aware of the last time the clock was serviced, then it is time to do so. If you have no experience, this should be done by a qualified clock repairman. If you wish to tinker, a French clock is not the recommended clock with which to start.:)

Also, you can not "overwind" a clock. If the clock is fully wound and will not keep time or strike, then this is an indication it needs service.

Regards.

NVPete

Sep 10, 2020
Country
Hope these are clear enough - It's hard to get the lighting right!

I don't remember it being serviced serviced or run since 1980, and I would guess not since the 1960s at least. I have no desire to tinker with it, but it would be nice to keep it running, although I worry about breaking the glass dome when removing to wind.

IMG_20200910_111303.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics