Gold case marks

Michael Post

Mar 20, 2018
Southern California
Country
Region
I have an Elgin watch in what appears to be a gold case which is marked "AU HAVRE". I am assuming the AU means gold but the havre part leaves me cold. anyone have a clue?

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I cannot recall seeing gold identified by its chemical symbol (Au) on a watch case. Can you post a picture of the mark?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Photographs would be best :)

Rob

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I suspect that this (green arrow) may be a continental gold mark, but it does not look like any that I am familiar with. Can you post a sharper and larger image of this mark?

goldmark.jpg

Reactions: Michael Post

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Coincidentally, there's another watch being discussed in another topic/thread. It too has a case that has the appearance of solid gold, i.e., no wear-throughs, inner case engraving more common in solid cases, a thin case band, etc. While I don't see your case as having "heavy" engraving (It's somewhat subjective and relative.), it does have what is called Jurgensen lips. In honesty, I don't recall ever seeing them on a gold-filled case, but I haven't seen all cases.

I'll join Steven Thornberry in asking for an image of the movement. Personally, I doubt that the case is original to the watch, but there is some chance that it was a new replacement case, although I doubt that too. It would be nice to see that movement image to check for clues of the case having housed another movement in its life.

FWIW, I really like the dial on your watch. And the 162 is a very nice grade to own. I think it's the cats PJ's for 16s Elgins. Congrat's.

Reactions: Michael Post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonnie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-