Electric WW Going to Switzerland

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by le arsi, Jul 1, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    My son Gilbert is on its way to Switzerland now. He's going to attend a 1-month seminar in "level 2" Patek Watch Tech in Geneva. He will now become the "first" Filipino "level 2" Patek watch technician in the country. It seems the son is making a race with his father. I accomplished many "first" in the Philippines... first quartz watch tester, first TESDA watch technician curriculum and now first tower clock with only two active wheels driven by 2 different motors, work still going on. Nice to have a son following the steps of his father I am sure all the tools that I have acquired are going to be very useful for their livelihood "when the time comes".

2. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Amazing le arsi. It is good to read that a person can shoot for a high goal in this watch repair trade. Could you elaborate on what a "level 2" Patek watch tech does or learns? I think it would be interesting to know. Certainly some inspiration for the rest of us.

3. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Well, as what my son mentioned when he attended the "level 1" seminar in Singapore the level 1 technician only to do external job for Patek watch and does not allow him to work on the inside of the movement. At level 2 he's now allowed to work inside the movement quartz or automatic. Then maybe at level 3 and up is for chronograph and complications. But I think the company is very strict in this kind of training, it took years before you can jump to the next level.

4. emso

emso Registered User

Jun 17, 2012
    breitling does
    level 1 exchange of gaskets, crystal, cleaning of the escapement , oiling it, exchange of battery if quartz
    level 2 complete overhaul of 7750 chronograph, also chronograph with modules
    level 3 complete overhaul of complicated movements for their breitling for bentley series
    level 4 complete overhaul of B01 movement
    level 5 perpetulas, tourbilions etc etc
    you could take one course per year and watchmaker school or wostep needed before attending the course also experience of over 3 years needed before aplying.

br
    emso

5. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Patek Training.jpg
    Here are the classmates of my son Gilbert (taking the pic) at Patek Switzerland having dinner after a training session. Maybe someone here knows one of them? They are doing a one month level 2 Patek training this July.

6. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm, my eyes keep turning left...

Looks like a fun group and your son is doing well....!

7. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Ha ha! that's the advantage of having a "watchmaker's eye", very sensitive.

Yes, they speak different languages but when it comes to watchmaking they do understand each other quick.

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is great a woman in the class, will keep the men on their toes.
    This is something i wish i could have done. Good luck to the young people in the class, wish them the best of luck.

ss

9. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    learsi, congratulations on your son following your footsteps. I only got started about 8 years ago and son #3 into construction, a gifted mason, son #1 is a teacher, son #2, not worth much, not motivated, daughter #4, educator, very gifted, into bling watches and cell phones, no hope there. keep him on the path toward greatness.

10. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Richiec, it's alright that your sons and daughter are doing what they like. I have so much experience longer than you and thats my technique for my son to get involved. I started telling him stories, events and challenges about the art of watchmaking at the very early age. My sons 3 and a daughter even witnessed at the very beginning of my career as a teacher in watch repairing sometime in 1991 talking to myself in front of a mirror as if I was discussing a topic in horology in front of many students, they would laugh at me and this is the result, after taking mechanical engr tech he got employed at Patek Phils.