• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

GLT Guilmet Clock Query

jabdav

Jan 2, 2009
Bristol UK
Country
Region
Hi All
I was hoping for some background information for my GLT clock. I have struggled to find much on the company or roughly when the clock dates from.
I suspect its early 20th century as its quite basic compared to the earlier ones by Guilmet and of lower quality. I cannot find this model anywhere and any information would be appreciated.
When I acquired the clock, it had been through the wars and was probably dropped as the cases were damaged and had been partially restored.
I am still in the process of restoration, but the clock now works with a hypnotic rocking motion (the barometer case has a lead weight attached to the inside of the back cover which can be adjusted to get the balance right).
Many Thanks
John
P1260153.JPG P1260154.JPG P1260155.JPG P1260157.JPG

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I've come across GLT before but afaik very little is known though obviously they impressed an exhibition enough to be awarded a gold medal at some point. The earliest date I've come across for GLT is 1867 regarding a novelty clock exhibited by A.R. Guilmet in Paris in Thorpe's book on French marble clocks with the mark G.L.T. (Tardy). There is a movement with a different stamp described as 'GLT' with 'Brevette' and 'S.G.D.G.' around it in Collectable Clocks and according to Tardy GLT was the mark of Thieble of Paris who took out a patent for an improved pendulum in 1865. Their name is sometimes found on French pendulum bobs and it is said they also produced a suspension adjustment similar to Brocot and Vallet.

Last edited:

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
Hi All
I was hoping for some background information for my GLT clock. I have struggled to find much on the company or roughly when the clock dates from.
I suspect its early 20th century as its quite basic compared to the earlier ones by Guilmet and of lower quality. I cannot find this model anywhere and any information would be appreciated.
When I acquired the clock, it had been through the wars and was probably dropped as the cases were damaged and had been partially restored.
I am still in the process of restoration, but the clock now works with a hypnotic rocking motion (the barometer case has a lead weight attached to the inside of the back cover which can be adjusted to get the balance right).
Many Thanks
John
View attachment 621573 View attachment 621574 View attachment 621575 View attachment 621576
Wow! Wonderful piece and that's one I've never seen. Any chance you can post (or send me direct) a video showing the rocking motion?

jabdav

Jan 2, 2009
Bristol UK
Country
Region
Hi
Many thanks for the replies and info. Maybe a bit older than I thought.

Joeydeluxed - I will try and take a video and hopefully post it tomorrow (I am not very tech savvy)

John

jabdav

Jan 2, 2009
Bristol UK
Country
Region
Hope this works, my first video on youtube!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joeydeluxed

NAWCC Member
Mar 3, 2007
Country
Hope this works, my first video on youtube!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting model that I've never seen, thanks for posting the video. I wouldn't mind finding one for sale

Gary Vitse

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Jun 4, 2011
Interesting query. I own a similar clock. I have never been able to find any information about it but perhaps I can shed some light on the subject. First of all I believe this to be a Guilmet. I base this on comparing the GLT movement stamp to one on a Guilmet mystery clock. They are identical. Secondly I have studied the back covers (barometer and clock)
on my clock and compared them to one on a Guilmet swinger and again they are identical. I think too that one should consider that Guilmet is known to make unusual things like this. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a Gilmet Clock. I should add that I do not believe this is a mystery clock. It is a swinging clock.
my clock appears to be the same size as well as the barometer and clock. However, there are differences. My clock is all metal and has a thermometer between the dials. Mine runs a full 15 days. It is a very good running clock.
I should add that laws of physics apply and when the internal pendulum moves to the left it will drag the swinging section in the same direction. However, when it moves to the right it cannot do so.
This is a rare clock. In 50 some years of collecting I have never seen any swinging clock operate like this one. I purchased mine in Europe.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Interesting query. I own a similar clock.
I am missing the reference you are apparently making with these two sentences. Are you replying to an earlier thread, perhaps to this one?
Also, had you intended to post pictures with your post? They would be helpful.

I have merged the two threads.

Last edited:

Dale B

NAWCC Fellow
Jul 16, 2011
Wisconsin
Country
Region
Steven

Thanks for merging the two threads.

I have attached a picture of Gary's Guilmet Clock Barometer Swinger.jpg similar clock.

Dale

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.