• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Gloria Vanderbilt's banjo clock

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
While killing some time between virtual appointments, I was perusing a website devoted to real estate in NYC and the surrounding metropolitan area.

It's entertaining. The prices would make your eyes water. When I was growing up in NYC, there were certain parts of the city, especially in Brooklyn, where even the police hesitated to venture. Now many of those areas have real estate prices that make Tokyo look like a bargain.

What is rather amazing to me, many of the interior shots of the residences are furnished in a rather repetitive minimalist style. Rarely, IMCO, is there any art or furniture worth a darn. All for looks probably by a pricey interior decorator. Furthermore, many are fine old structures gutted and reduced to a minimalist "open concept" look.

On the other hand, some of the places look like they were decorated by Iris Apfel on acid. Such was the apartment of the late Gloria Vanderbilt. Remember her "designer jeans" from the 1970's?? They or Calvin Klines were de rigueur for many women @ the disco.

Okay, I'll stop rambling at get to the point, finally.

Her apartment recently sold. Here's a picture of one of the rooms:

Gloria Vanderbilts clock.jpg

Amongst all of the foofoo and chachkas, a banjo clock!

Yes, need date and id.

RM

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Reminds me of pictures of Victorian homes - filled with the things they loved and memories of travels to far-flung locales. I don't think I would ever be bored in that room - overwhelmed maybe, but never bored. I would love to know the story behind the clock.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Here is a better photo from here:

View attachment 671773

The forum software apparently reduces the size slightly so a little bigger picture can be found here:

Yes, can see the clock better. From the pix, may be a nice presentation banjo? That the throat and box don't match doesn't bother me.

I also notice what appears to be a chair by Hunzinger.

RM

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Reminds me of pictures of Victorian homes - filled with the things they loved and memories of travels to far-flung locales. I don't think I would ever be bored in that room - overwhelmed maybe, but never bored. I would love to know the story behind the clock.
A family piece?

If I recall correctly, the Vanderbilts arrived in the New World in the 17th century, started to build their fortunes in the 19th century, reaching their great wealth and prominence in the 2nd 1/2 of the 19th century - early 20th. An ancestor could have bought the clock new??

RM

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I also notice what appears to be a chair by Hunzinger.
The little chair hidden in the corner on the left certainly appears to be a Hunzinger. Nice catch!

And something extraneous....always on the lookout for Hunzinger chairs. This photo also appears to incorporate the photographer's posing stands and a misplaced drape.

img137.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
The little chair hidden in the corner on the left certainly appears to be a Hunzinger. Nice catch!

And something extraneous....always on the lookout for Hunzinger chairs. This photo also appears to incorporate the photographer's posing stands and a misplaced drape.

View attachment 671881
Always feel free to go "extraneous" or "superfluous" on one of my threads.

I too really like Hunzinger. I have posted a few pieces that I own on the Forums before. Here's some teaser pix:

hunzinger folding.jpg

This one is a real prize. The original upholstery, which was the highest grade offered by Hunzinger on this chair. It survives in amazing condition. A museum piece.

hunzinger lollipop.jpg

The most fully developed "lollipop" rocker I think you'll find. This chair represents the industrialization of furniture making. The turned elements were mass produced and then assembled by relatively unskilled workers.

hunzinger 1a[1].JPG

The back and seat are made from flat metal strips covered in decorated felt and woven together. Often doesn't survive and replaced with rope or twin. That's no good.

Bad news is, never sit on chairs 1 and 3. 1 is covered with a blanket to protect from fading.

I also like the furniture of Merklen Brothers, another NYC firm whose work is roughly contemporaneous with Hunzinger and often mistaken for it, and vice versa.

RM

Reactions: PatH

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Sounds like the IKEA of it's day
Well, not really.

This furniture was not assembled @ home.

More akin to mass production of automobiles.

Materials used and overall quality very high. Doubt any Ikea stuff will be around in good condition > 100 years.

Really innovative design for the period. In this particular instance, reflecting the burgeoning industrialization of America and new ways of making things en masse of interesting design.

Factories in the Midwest were already cranking out a lot of look alike furniture. This is not cookie cutter furniture.

RM

bobby2003

NAWCC Member
Nov 1, 2010
Country
I'm guessing there will be a "The Estate of Gloria Vanderbilt" auction sometime next year so perhaps the clock and the chair may come on the market.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I'm guessing there will be a "The Estate of Gloria Vanderbilt" auction sometime next year so perhaps the clock and the chair may come on the market.
I was thinking that, too.

Unfortunately, things are often terribly overpriced at those "celebrity" estate auctions especially when in NYC.

For example, I think back to the Andy Warhol auction. Where cookie jars that had brought a few $$ just before bringing $1,000's just because he owned them.

Also friends and acquaintances seeking a bit of memorabilia.

RM

Reactions: bobby2003

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-