glass or no glass?

gigantea

Feb 15, 2014
I just cleaned up this Hammond clock yesterday, oiled, works great. Did this clock have glass covering the face out of the factory? If so, how was it held in place? I don't see clues that it ever had glass so maybe I'm through with it, other than getting a better power cord.

oops, working on the picture thing.

DSCN8611.JPG DSCN8612.JPG DSCN8623.JPG
DSCN8636.JPG

Last edited:

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
I would think it would have had a glass originally. But hard to tell from the pictures.
I have a Sessions Hammond with glass. But it's an older model than yours.
Sessions Electric.jpg

gigantea

Feb 15, 2014
I would think it would have had a glass originally. But hard to tell from the pictures.
I have a Sessions Hammond with glass. But it's an older model than yours.
View attachment 647798
I'm real confident it had glass, I'm trying to find out how it was secured in the frame when it was made, anybody know? I'm sure it fit on the inside of this lip, where I drew the red line, pic's kind of dark. How would the glass have been secured in this wood frame, what kind of hardware was used? I was thinking of just using glazing push points, like they use in picture frames today.

clockglass.jpg

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Look on this picture there is a reflection so there is a glass !
Hammond.jpg

To hold the glass in place, a very small mesh or dots of transparent silicon in the rebate will do the trick.

Amicalement GG

gigantea

Feb 15, 2014
Well I tried the push points, the wood is too hard to push them in and I don't like making holes in antique or vintage collectibles anyway so I'm going with the silicon point method, yeah I like that idea, the glass is in and letting the silicon dry. I broke two pieces of glass from Hobby Lobby, ran do HomeDepot, cheaper and tougher glass, worked the first time cutting. How old is yours and approx. how old do you think mine is? Next project is one of those huge postal clocks, looking forward to getting that going. Somebody took the motor apart, took out the core plates and lost them, sup with that, how does that happen haha. Now I need a new core and plates for that.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
This clock is not mine, I took this picture on the net because we could see the reflection of the glass. I often use the silicon for the glass of clock because it is discreet and reversible and it works even on metal.

Amicalement GG

gigantea

Feb 15, 2014
Sorry, I meant to ask that question to David T., the pic of the clock he posted. Yeah that's a good idea with the silicon, I thought the same thing while I was doing it, just pop the glass off if I need to. I thought of rattles too if I would have used metal to secure it, I do hear a slight buzz from the coil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre