Glass featuring an asylum in Somerville Mass

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Jim DuBois, Aug 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting detail, unusual subject. Seen in a loose ogee clock yesterday. Also, another with interesting detail, also an ogee clock. So, why do so many ogees have interesting glass that seems to survive often in better shape than other clocks?

20190823_091501 (3).jpg 20190823_125204 (2).jpg

2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So glad you got pictures of these two - they really caught my eye on my first quick trip into that end of the room. The green tone of the McLean Asylum wasn't something I had seen before, and the Croton Fountain seemed to be in really good condition. I didn't have a chance to open the door to look at the back, but they appeared to be original to the clocks. Several in the silent auction had nice tablets, too.

I've wondered if the ogee tablet images have survived because of the method of applying the engraving to the glass during that specific time? Stencils from that period are also often in good condition.

3. MrX

MrX Registered User

Sep 4, 2004
    Mclean Asylum was in Belmont Mass, mostly condos now.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    But only from the 1890's. Prior to that, it was in the Charlestown/Somerville area.

History & Progress at McLean Hospital

PatH likes this.