GIROTOURBILION BY KAROL ROMAN PART 3 DYNAMICS PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by janekp, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. janekp

janekp Registered User

May 21, 2011
    In a standard Tourbillon systems, the movement of the escapement wheel is closely related to the movement of the cage.

In order to obtain the correct increase in the speed of the escapement wheel, a significant acceleration must be forced on the cage.

To make this acceleration, a large portion of the spring’s energy is used.

Only a smaller part of this energy is transferred to the balance wheel,

the rest is lost when the escapement wheel is braked with the tooth on the pallet's anchor during the rest phase.

In my design, I decided to loosen the bonds between the escapement wheel and the cage.

I assumed that the escapement wheel should have an additional drive to be able to start to pulse the balance without waiting for the acceleration of the cage.

I decided to build something like an energy accumulator for the escapement wheel.

The accumulated energy comes from the energy wasted when braking the cage.

In the figure I showed the solution in two versions.

I used the right version with the pinion below the escapement wheel in a clock being built by me.

Wheel version with accumulator..PICTURE 3

The support sleeve "4" with the pinion "5" mounted on it is mounted in a rotatable fashion on the "2" axis of the sagging wheel "1", and the force connection between them is several coil springs "3".

One end, via the roller, is mounted on axis "2" and the second end is bent and hooked behind the notch in the support sleeve "4".

The two projections at the top of this sleeve encompass one of the arms of the escapement wheel to limit relative movement to the desired size.

A description of the action follows here:

Starting from the rest position.

The tooth of the escapement wheel rests on the pallet's anchor.

The spring-driven cage, rolling the pinion of the escapement wheel through the gear, has tensioned the hair spring.

The Balance, returning from the extreme position, near the center of swing, moves the anchor's fork.

The tooth of the escapement wheel leaves the resting zone.

Without waiting for the cage to accelerate,

it makes a jump forward, giving the anchor and balance a pulse, using the tension of the spring.

At this time, the cage accelerates slightly and when the tooth of the escapement wheel stops at the second pallet of the anchor, the cage still moves, tensing the spring again and preparing the system for the next move.

The movement of the escapement wheel and cage .PICTURE 2

With a properly selected stiffness of the hair spring and its initial tension, you one can achieve a smooth, jumping movement of the cage.

The disadvantage of this system is that when there is a second hand tied to the cage, then
    depending on the varying spring force, the end of the second hand may diverge slightly from the pointer bars.

Another disadvantage is, of course, an additional workload. In the real world it looks like this: -

Enlargement of the cage .PICTURE 1

- And After the tests, it turned out that the working of the mechanism consumes the same, if not less energy as a clock of a similar size and class of performance in a classic system without Tourbillon.

Karol Roman

PS Referring to the post: - http: //zegarkiclub.p ...z-tourbilionem/

View attachment 524392 Klatka w realu.JPG Koło w. z magaz..jpg Ruch k.wych. a klatki.jpg