• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Girard-Perregaux pocket watch ID required

mjj1543

Sep 20, 2019
Country
Hi, i've recently acquired a non-running pocket watch movement that i need help identifying. It came to me without a case but from research on t'interweb several other examples exist in silver hallmarked cases from 1919. It has a Kendal & Dent, London, branded dial but i'm aware they were predominantly importers not manufacturers in their own right. On disassembly the movement has G.P.Cie embossed into the plate and hidden under the main bridge. My questions are; has anyone seen another example of this branding, and am i correct in thinking it belongs to Girard-Perregaux (and Son)? See attached photos.

I have another pocket watch which adds to the fog - a Canadian military issued Unitas movement from the WW2 period, GXM on the balance cock which research suggests is also Girard-Perregaux. Could the GXM be a later brand and G.P. & Cie an earlier brand for the same firm?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I would like this to go into my 230-watch collection with an ID if at all possible!

Many thanks.

as bought movement.jpg IMG_9231.jpg IMG_9232.jpg IMG_9258.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

mjj1543

Sep 20, 2019
Country
Hello again, is no-one able to help with this, there's an awful lot of knowledge on this site and i'm surprised i haven't any responses, even in the negative? :)

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
Howdy—It has become increasingly difficult to load images, so that is hampering any help. I know solutions are underway. It should be Girard-Perregaux & Cie (company). Cant view enough to be of any caliber help to you—or to see a serial number for dating.

GXM is their import code, stamped beginning 1936. Not a brand mark exactly, but required by US law to show which company brought it over to the US (likely the hub for Canada distribution).

mjj1543

Sep 20, 2019
Country
Thanks for your reply Moses, it's appreciated. I think i had misinterpreted the GXM mark as their own brand mark rather than an import mark specific to a particular region, if you know what i mean. So that makes good sense, and the 1936 date ties in correctly with my Canadian military Unitas.

The mystery of that movement deepens though. I've since bought another movement, in a silver case dated 1919, which i picked up because it bore strong similarities to the GP&Cie movement described above. Sure enough, when i break it down, the keyless works are almost identical (the only difference i can see is one of the intermediate wheels is screwed down on the GP&Cie) and the rest of the movement is also almost identical bar the different bridge arrangement.

However, under the main bridge on this one is a brand mark for Buser Freres (the triangle with capital letter B inside). See pics below (hopefully...)

This led me to finding this movement listed on the Ranfft database under - Buser 18.5 and also Drusus 18.5 both linked here. The keyless works of my GP&Cie matches the Drusus which itself appears to be a derivative of the Buser.

Could it be that Buser provided Girard-Perregaux with ebauche movements, or the other way round? There's clearly a connection given these two movements are all but identical.

IMG_9313.jpg IMG_9314.jpg IMG_9317.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberthunigan1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller