Mechanical WW Girard Perregaux 32.8 Needed

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by sderek, Apr 18, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Watch repair/ Watch sales
    USA
    Country Flag:
  2. mrbill

mrbill Registered User

Jun 5, 2006
    Equivalent movements AS 1649, Favre Lebua 1149, 1152, GP 31 & 32

Zodiac 70 and 72.

3. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    If you are talking about the cannon pinion wheel, you may have trouble finding one that is in good shape. If you are, then a non calendar donor would be the best choice. Lots of these movements with bad parts from using the calendar a lot.

4. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the valuable information! The wheel in question is the canon pinion wheel. I'll be on the lookout for a non-calendar equivalent movement- or order the part from Julesborel.

5. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I am curious, what method did you use to find the equivalent movement? I tried my Bestfit manual, and the 32.8 isn't listed, then I tried Julesborel, but they have no parts for this movment, so I couldn't just click on the part to find the equivalent.

6. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    I generally just recognize the movement. Especially with the more common movements like AS1700, you just take a look at it. This GP movement is unique in appearance and regardless of what it is called it is still what it is. The same unit is sold by Favre Leuba (lots), Zodiac (early Sea Wolf, Glorious), and GP (few). This is an old design and one of the first with the cannon pinion built into the wheel (common now). So we have a not too common movement with a design weakness so parts are difficult to find. People have had some success slightly crimping the part and gaining a bit more life. It never worked for me. The whole ebauche thing is a scam a big secret, so the Swiss can take the same part, put it in a different sack and call it something else. I'd find a non-calendar donor. I think I have a worn out wheel if it will help you.

7. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Dave.
    I'm always looking for better ways to identify movements and to find ways to find movements with compatible parts.
    I always start with my bestfit manual to identify the make and caliber, then go to julesborel.com and/or http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk to find out which movements have compatible parts.
    Dr. Ranftt's site can sometimes help with identifying, also.

8. jimH

jimH Registered User

Apr 3, 2009
    You can make better use of the Jules Borel site. Notice that for the GP 32.8 the base caliber is the GP 32. If you look at the GP 32 on the Jules Borel site and check the "CENTER WHEEL, W/OFFSET CAN PIN" part you will see that this part is used in many other calibers from several watch manufacturers.

You can often tighten the cannon pinion on this part but you will have to have a good tool specifically made for this job to do this with any precision.

PS: Note the name of this part; it is not the third wheel.

9. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    #9 sderek, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Now that I didn't know. I didn't know that the caliber 32 was the base caliber and has the same parts as the 32.8. Makes sense. If I had know that simple fact, I would have never started this thread.

Something else I didn't know until recently- the serial number on Girard Perregaux's will usually tell you the caliber. The serial number on the watch in question is "328568"- the first 3 numbers are the caliber (and, apparently, the 1st two numbers are the base caliber).

10. mrbill

mrbill Registered User

Jun 5, 2006
    I've always had pretty good luck tightening the indirect drive pinions

1) separate from pinion, (if it's in good shape only loose)

2) slide it down on a cutting broach for support.

3) I use a set of "D" tweezers
    (look like big fingernail clippers with flush jaws)

4 slide the pinion on broach until snug, then raise it up slightly.
    (look closely at the pinion you will be able to see where it was originally adjusted for tightness)

5) Place the "D" tweezers at the same point on the pinion, when you squeeze, you will be tightening from both sides at the same time.
    The broach will stop you from crushing and cutting through the thin wall of the pinion that you have on the broach.

Re-assemble , don't forget to grease pinion.
    Generally work well for me.

11. sderek

sderek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2009
    USA
    Country Flag:
    I was able to get the part I needed by contacting Sudarson at www.oldswisswatches.com and let him know I needed the third wheel and canon pinion. I just received the part, installed it and verified that it is working perfectly.
    I did try to order the part from julesborel, but it is on backorder with no known delivery date.