Gimballed Model 22 With a Key Lock

Leigh Callaway

Sep 5, 2011
Upper Valley, New Hampshire
Country
Region
I understand this type of Model 22 box with a key lock is not plentiful - that it may be one of the first 1,000 or so? Any information would be appreciated.

M22 Box.JPG

This a recent addition to a Hamilton collection. Overhauled, dial/bowl refinished.

Dial 2F14097.jpg IMG_5275.JPG

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
A few years ago, I had a Waltham in what appeared to be a locking Model 22 box. I almost installed a Model 22 in the box. The Waltham tag on the box was in the same style as the Hamilton tag.

The movement was 15J, but not one of the "Chronometer" movements.

Ralph

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
Leigh, I would like to see other 22’s with locks to see consistency with the manufacturing process. This would give a hint of a factory install. Is the nickel plating on the lock plate consistent with that of the rest of the plated items? I see there was another plaque set below the Hamilton one.
Paul

Leigh Callaway

Sep 5, 2011
Upper Valley, New Hampshire
Country
Region
Paul:

Here is a closeup of the box hardware.

Ham Lock Box 1.jpg

Yes there is a missing plaque - I decided not to have a new one made. The movement left the factory Apr 15 1944, and the box is probably much earlier. The components likely did not leave Lancaster together - adding a new plaque would not make it any more "original."

Whitney's "Military Timepieces", Figure 28 on page 395 shows a key lock version - the photo is dim but it does show the plaque.

Here are some photos which I found from previous auctions:
A Hamilton Model 22 two day lever deck watch

Another from eBay
eBay box 208.jpg

All the best,
Leigh

Last edited:

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
Leigh, the lock plates are consistent that’s nice I did not realize that the missing plaque was the original “N” number. I agree it should be left alone. We know the USNO did swap boxes at will back then.
Paul

Ned L

Feb 3, 2009
N.E. CT
Country
I have an identical locking box. I knew they were early boxes but didn’t realize they were that limited.
I actually stumbled across it on EBay. It had previously had an inexpensive compass mounted in it and was advertised simply as a compass in a box. A previous owner at one time had a tag made with the boat’s name engraved (“Trinket”) and put that on the front of the box. Likewise I felt that for the time being removing the tag doesn’t make it more original, so for now it is there.
0938683E-1725-4E17-A5C9-052DCB564FCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Leigh Callaway

Lee Loy

NAWCC Member
Nov 14, 2019
I have a lockable gimbaled case too and my Model 22 is also a low serial # (2F499) with the old style dial (similar to Brian's photos). Unfortunately, the lock is broken and I have been unable to find either a replacement or someone that can repair it. A watchmaker told me that it might be an Eagle Lock Company Half-Mortise lock but I cannot be certain since there are no manufacturer markings on it. Anyone have any info on a replacement or a repair shop? Below is a photo of the lock removed from the box.

M22_lock.jpg

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
I have a lockable gimbaled case too and my Model 22 is also a low serial # (2F499) with the old style dial (similar to Brian's photos). Unfortunately, the lock is broken and I have been unable to find either a replacement or someone that can repair it. A watchmaker told me that it might be an Eagle Lock Company Half-Mortise lock but I cannot be certain since there are no manufacturer markings on it. Anyone have any info on a replacement or a repair shop? Below is a photo of the lock removed from the box.

View attachment 664821

View attachment 664821
I got a spare lock about that size but brass and single pin instead of double pin if you want it send me you address and I will send it to you.

Lee Loy

NAWCC Member
Nov 14, 2019
I got a spare lock about that size but brass and single pin instead of double pin if you want it send me you address and I will send it to you.
Hi All,
Paul R. was able to repair the lock I had last week and he did a great job. Thank you all for responding to my inquiry. Greatly appreciated.
Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Silver Kitty
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa