Gilt pair cased by James Ilbery

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Nick23, Apr 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    James Ilbery is recorded as working at Queen Street, London between 1755 and 1777.
    The movement has square pillars and worm and wheel set up.
    Runs a few minutes slow over 24 hours, but apart from that it is nice condition.
    DSCF0072 (2).JPG DSCF0083 (2).JPG DSCF0074 (2).JPG DSCF0078 (2).JPG DSCF0079 (2).JPG DSCF0080 (2).JPG

Keith R... likes this.
  2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks good, the piquet work looks in good condition too.

The hour hand looks heavier than I expected, is that just the pic? The minute has more relief in the pictures.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick & Nick,

The hands are certainly both modern stamped replacements, not really worthy of such a good dial, but the dial itself looks quite pristine, no sign of a hairline. The style of the dial suggests a date sometime in the 1770s or a little later, and the bowl of the case appears to be clad in tortoiseshell, (for which read 'turtle'), although the bezel has underpainted fern-like patterns sometimes seen on horn work, so whether one or the other has been replaced is debatable; there are also small differences in the sizes of the rivets.

Everything appears to be in good condition, including the screws, although they've lost their bluing.

I don't know if James Ilbery was any relation to William Ilbery, who's famous for his Chinese market pieces.

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  4. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Yes the hands are modern replacements. When I got the watch the hour hand was broken, although the minute hand was OK. They were gilt, so I need to find a period set. In the meantime the replacements at least allow me to see the watch working.
    The rivets are slightly larger in the bowl of the case. The bowl and bezel had so many rivets missing that I decided to remove those that were left in the bowl and replace the missing ones in the bezel with them. I managed to locate some rivets, but they are slightly larger. I thought that doing it this way I at least retained some of the originals and the turtle shell on the bowl would be more secure. I do though have sufficient to replace all those in the bezel so that all the rivets would match. Or.... I could remove the larger ones that are in the bowl and replace the originals in their original positions(I have lots of photos).

DSCF0063.JPG DSCF0064.JPG DSCF0064.JPG DSCF0046.JPG DSCF0063.JPG DSCF0064.JPG

Keith R... likes this.
  5. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Oooopps! Sorry about the all those repeats. Just like BBC TV.

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,

On the principle of making the part fit the watch rather than the other way round, the replacement rivets should ideally be made to match the original ones.

That minute hand 'as received' is still an inappropriate replacement, the hands should look more like this, (pictures of steel hands before and after gilding):

DSCF2514.JPG DSCF2618.JPG

Regards,

Graham

Omexa likes this.
  7. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your valued advice Graham. I shall seek replacements.

Regards,
    Nick

8. Nick23

Nick23 Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    I have taken Graham's advice and blued the screws.
    DSCF0194.JPG

And after much rummaging through loads of parts I managed to find a nice pair of period hands. They were a bit rusty, but I spent a couple of hours very carefully cleaning and bluing them and I think they look okay.
    DSCF0200 (2).JPG

Keith R... and Omexa like this.
  9. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    that's certainly better

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,

The blued screws form such a striking contrast with the gilt plate, and those hands are a great improvement.

Regards,

Graham

Omexa and Keith R... like this.