Gilbert Strike governor

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Albert Rambaud, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Albert Rambaud

Albert Rambaud Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings all. I have a Gilbert 8 day time and strike rear mount front escapement that has an odd cup riveted on the front plate where the fan fly is. I have done a Bing search for images and find one similar movement with the cup governor on it. My problem is that this came to me with a very poor fan fly adapted and I have come up with a replacement as pictured. The strike still runs too fast on striking almost similar to a machine gun retort. Does any one out there have a good picture of one of these governor fan fly so I may duplicate one from scratch?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't have an example, but memory says it had a centrifugal type of governor that increased drag as the speed increased. You have room for a bigger fly, so you could try that.

3. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    The governor has two half-round bits that have leather glued to the round serfaces. When the fly spins the two half-rounds move out by centrifugal force and the leather bears against the cup fastened to the plate thus regulating the speed of the wheels. I posted some pictures about 5 years ago of a Gilbert Peto I own. If you use the search function and look for my name and 'Gilbert Peto" I think you can retrieve the post. That search worked for me. I don't know how to create a link to the actual post.
    A word of caution, don't put the gizmos with leather in any cleaning solution; I learned the hard way when I used an ammoniated cleaner and it did a number oh the leather.

4. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Search doesn't turn up the thread.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a picture of the Gilbert fly governor. Sorry, this is a "before" picture. As I recall the two brass weights had what appeared to be felt facings.

RC

6. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Albert Rambaud, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Shutterbug, John Arrowood, Banster, R. Croswell, Thank you for your information. Now I have an Idea what to construct. When finished I will post here. Thanks again. Albert

8. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One last question for now. Are the spring arms made from brass or thin spring steel?

9. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. R. Croswell

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's another picture of the same clock showing the working parts. The arms look like brass to me. It's been several years since I worked on that one and it was returned to the owner. I didn't have any reason to examine the fly governor with scrutiny. As I recall the 'arms' were rather thin. I wouldn't use soft or annealed brass. I think a harder spring brass, beryllium copper, or thin spring steel should work. The arms mostly serve to keep the weights in place and transfer the torque of the breaking action. The weights do the work. I would think that one would only want minimal resistance in the 'spring arms'. Hope this is some small help. Perhaps someone here has actually had to replace these parts and can provide more detail.

RC

11. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    R. Croswell,

Thank you for the great picture. Indeed a picture does say a thousand words. This will help greatly.

12. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RC are those arms part of a tube that fits over the arbor and is free to slip?

David

13. R. Croswell

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As I said, there was no need to disassemble this at the time. I've studied that picture and I have more questions than answers about how the arms are attached. There does appear to be a tube over the arbor with a dimple that fits a groove in the arbor but at the pinion end it doesn't look like the arms are a part of the tube. As we know with fly governors it is necessary that the rotating mass be allowed to slip on stopping. It almost looks here like the 'tube' is split and perhaps does provide the friction element. I'm just guessing. I bet Dave LaBounty would know.

RC

Looking closer, perhaps the arms are "cut from the same cloth" as the center tube?

14. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes that is what I am wondering if it can be made from a piece of tube and the arms cut from it.

David

15. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Examining the photo that RC provided, it does not appear that the arms are much thicker than the helper spring that is shown. That may be a big clue about the strength of the arms. How they are attached is a mystery, but I wonder if a tube would be too thick?

16. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 Albert Rambaud, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Hello all. I have found a picture that I believe solves the mystery. This shows the governor arms being integral to the tube. So now I know definitely where to progress with this project.[​IMG]

17. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greetings. Here are pictures of my attempt to duplicate this Gilbert weighted governor. The first picture is of the 1/8 inch brass tube I used to start with. I slit the tube down the middle and then flattened the 2 pieces. I then bent the two sides to bring the sides back to the top of the arbor where the weights will be attached. Weights will come later. I think this answers the speculation that this piece was made from a single brass tube.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very interesting and nicely done so far. Looking forward to seeing the completed assembly.

David

19. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well here is the last thread to this item as I am finished replicating a replacement fly governor. I took some brass pieces and silver soldered them together to form the weights. I then shaped the outer edges to contour the weights to the fly governor cup. After shaping the weights I silver soldered the weights to the governor arms and then glued felt into the weights and cut them to shape. I attached the arm assembly to the fan fly arbor and installed it. Now this governor works as it should and the strike is at a acceptable rate. Thanks for all the input on this. DSCN5604.JPG DSCN5609.JPG DSCN5610.JPG DSCN5612.JPG DSCN5613.JPG DSCN5615.JPG

20. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Albert great job and thank you for following up with the pictures.

David

21. R. Croswell

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks good!

(Looks like some of the earlier pictures somehow got lost?)

RC

22. Albert Rambaud

NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could the pictures be lost due to the software migration?

23. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't see no picture.

24. R. Croswell

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #24 R. Croswell, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Looks like all the earlier pictures were dropped. I noticed the same on a couple other threads. Sort of makes the thread useless for anyone reading in the future. At one time there was a "gallery" of all the photos I have uploaded but don't know how to find it on the new board.

RC

OK, fount the gallery under "attachments" but the pictures I posted to this thread are gone!

25. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the old photo's are preserved, but not yet moved to the new software. When they figure out how to harvest them without messing them up, and at the same time adjust the sizing to match the new board they will do it. Shouldn't be long now.