Gilbert Sharp Gothic

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by sylvester12, Mar 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. sylvester12

sylvester12 Registered User

Oct 17, 2015
    Bought this Gilbert Sharp Gothic in my travels today. The only markings I can find on the movement are 6 1/2 no Gilbert stamp. I googled Gilbert movements and didn't see any the same as this, although there's no extra holes in the backboard. Can anyone put an approximate date to this clock based on the label or movement. Thanks

DSC00763.jpg DSC00753.jpg DSC00754.jpg DSC00758.jpg DSC00762.jpg DSC00766.jpg DSC00767.jpg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator

Jan 15, 2004
    The manufacturer's name on the label seems to be Wm. L. Gilbert & Co., which Gilbert used twice, 1845-48 and 1851-66. I suspect that the latter company is involved here. Perhaps the patriotic theme on the door glass is intended to show support for the Union during the Civil War era, or even somewhat before it, when things started getting testy.

The movement appears to be one that has been attributed to Sperry & Bryant. A bit of information on that company is provided in this thread. It lists some characteristics of Sperry & Bryant movements and provides a couple of links to relevant Bulletin articles. This particular article has a picture of a similar (not same) movement on page 380, figure 10C. I have found other examples of presumed Sperry & Bryant movements, some more like what is in yours. However, there is no example of a signed Sperry & Bryant movement, and I tend to think that many of those ascribed to that firm were not made by them. I have my own preferences in this regard, but they are mere suppositions at this point and not fully thought out. I could well be on the wrong track (imagine that!).

Note, FWIW, that the location Winchester appears on the label instead of the expected and more commonly found Winsted. We have discussed this usage before; see, for example, this thread. No particular conclusions seem to have been reached.

3. sylvester12

sylvester12 Registered User

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks for providing all of your very interesting information, much appreciated. It definitely puts my mind at ease regarding the movement in this clock.