Gilbert American Gilbert Ogee Label & Tablet

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dugald McIntosh, May 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dugald McIntosh

Dugald McIntosh Registered User

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, can anyone tell me more about the label on this Wm. L. Gilbert ogee? The words 'thirty hour' are on a strip of paper pasted over the top of 'eight day', and 'Co' has a capital 'O', unlike others I have seen. At the bottom reads 'Herald Job Press'. It is in pretty good condition.
    Is there any significance to these details when it comes to dating the clock?

Also is the glass tablet original? It is held with wooden strips but doesn't look right to me(or is that just me)
    gilblab.jpg gilbo.jpg
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dugald

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    There were two iterations of Wm. L. Gilbert & Co., 1845-48, and again from 1851 to 1866. The overpaste and the "O" in the abbreviation for company are both IMO of no significance in dating the clock. So far the "O", here are a couple of labels from the second Wm. L. Gilbert & Co., both with a capital "O." That seems reasonable since all the other letters are capitals, as on your label. They show "Winchester" instead of Winsted, but Winsted is a city in the town of Winchester.

Woodruff Cottage 1 Label.JPG Woodruff Cottage2 Label.JPG

We also see occasional overpastes, even erasures of one kind or another, to make a pre-printed label accurately reflect features of the clock. I don't have an example of an overpaste, but here is an example of a label on a timepiece. A patent date has been smudged out because the patent had nothing to do with the timepiece.

TP 2 Label Patent Date.JPG

I can't see the tablet very well in your picture, but it appears to be a lithograph. We have seen such tablets on clocks, but I'm not sure whether that can be used very well for dating this OG. What do you mean when you say it doesn't look right?

The printer, Herald Job Press, might provide a dating clue if we knew the dates it was active under that name. I was able to find nothing, but I looked only briefly. Perhaps some else has information.

Dugald McIntosh likes this.
  3. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you post a picture of the inside of the door showing the wooden strips holding the glass in place as well as the paint on the back of the glass/lithograph? Thanks.

4. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dugald, good looking clock, nice label in very good condition. the overpaste is a nice addition and not seen very often. As has been mentioned it was done to use an 8 day label in a 30 hour clock to save printing separate labels or to use old stock up. I tried to find your label printer to no avail, but will be a good clue to age. Joe.

5. Dugald McIntosh

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    20200530_211648.jpg 20200530_211654.jpg
    Hello Steven, here is a better picture of the tablet. The gap around the edge of the picture seems like it was too small for the tablet, and was filled in with blank space. This seems a little off to me.

6. Dugald McIntosh

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here you go, the paint is pretty good apart from a small flake at the bottom. Also there is a piece broken off from the top corner.
    20200530_211703.jpg 20200530_211710.jpg

7. Dugald McIntosh

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Joe, I seem to have good luck with clock labels. Also, regarding the printer, I missed a bit out, it says "Herald Job Press, Winsted, Conn." Might help

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I guess I am missing your point, but all looks ok to me. Otherwise, perhaps someone with a better eye can advise you better.

9. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Dugold;

Hello! I have studied the Tablet in your Gilbert Ogee and I find it very interesting!
    In my opinion it looks authentic and original to the clock. The image was created by a wood cut engraving that was transferred to the glass with a piece of tissue paper that was then back painted.

Are you an NAWCC Member? If so you will have noticed my in depth article titled "Engraved Images, A Historical look at their development and use in Clock Tablets" in the January 2020 Bulletin. Included here is Plate #92 from the article which is titled "State House Hartford".
    During the time frame from when your clock was made there were three larger companies providing tablets to the clock companies (and possibly other smaller companies). One of those companies likely produced Plate 92 which was a popular image for the day. It is most likely one of the competitors created there own version of this scene, although the result was a tablet produced from a lower quality engraving with a different title being "Hartford State House" (instead of State house Hartford)

The tablet from your clock is of keen interest to me because it is a previously unreported image which adds to the overall story of the competitive nature of the industry at the time.

And if you are not an NAWCC member, my advice is to become one so you can experience some of the valuable knowledge being reported on in the Bulletin, along with a bunch of other benefits.

Paul H

Plate 92 State House Hartford.jpg

10. Dugald McIntosh

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Paul,

I am not a member, sadly, but thanks for the reply! Where could I get more info on these tablet-making companies? I would love to know more as I am also very interested in painted clock tablets.
    I wonder why they changed the text at the bottom?

I can upload a better image of the tablet if you would like.

I'm glad it was of interest!
    Thanks

Dugald

11. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hi, Both tablets are excellent! very nice to see two versions. And yes do become a member Dugald. The monthly magazine is worth the investment alone! Joe.

12. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And online access to all of the older magazines is great. If you're interested in clock tablets, you can find earlier articles written by Paul H, and others, about stenciled, lithographs, free hand painted, etc.

13. Dugald McIntosh

Apr 2, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Great! I will consider it.

Thanks,

Dugald

PatH likes this.