• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gilbert "Normandy Chime" Mantel Clock.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
This is another mantel clock from the same store that sold the Waterbury "Burton" I posted earlier.

The clock was made by Gilbert and strikes the hours and halves on two chime rods. Gilbert called this the "Normandy Chime" as it was reminiscent of the old bells of Normandy (Corneville) in France. Strike or chime, the rod pattern sound nice.

This is one model I've been after for a while, so it's especially pleasing to have one in the collection.

It's very good, despite being a "cheaper" clock. I was always told by another collector that these American clocks were basically junk, but I've learned otherwise ever since I began collecting them for myself. The large, substantial movement is complete but does need a clean. The case is intact besides some heat related wear.

There's no permanent end to my collection, though this one will be it for a while - now it's time to sort the clocks out for repairs and cleaning. o:)

[video=youtube;HA0i53Q8f7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA0i53Q8f7o[/video]

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Justin, I just overhauled one of these movements last week. Yours has a Rathbun bushing that I would get rid of, put in a proper bushing, and fill in the screw hole.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Thanks for the advice. I had no clue what a Rathburn Bushing was until I looked it up just earlier. Seems the running assumption behind them was a cheap fix for a cheap clock. Right now my Gilbert tambour clock is in storage along with two other tambours, so there's no chance of wearing the movement down with those poor replacement bushings. Right now I've planned to begin work on its case and bezel glass, which I can sort out myself. Doing the movement bushings will be a much more demanding job - but its time will come.

These three tambours will have their cases cleaned up this season. I don't know what wood the Gilbert and Waterbury clocks are made of, but the Celebrate No. 800 is Solid Mahogany.

Meanwhile I've found some old adverts for the "Normandy Chimes". Popular clocks and not bad quality. Despite my clock's setbacks I am happy to own it.

Attachments

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.