• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Gilbert Mantle Clock "Acheron": need info

B

Birchwood

I'm looking for more information on a mantle clock. According to family, it was purchased by my great grandparents for their wedding in 1890 in eastern North Dakota for $5.

The label on the back reads "Acheron", William C. Gilbert Clock Co., Winsted, Conn. It was apparently repaired in Oct, 1943. It is 18.5" tall, with a 13" x 4.5" base. The clock face is approximately 5.75" in diameter.

Any additional information would be appreciated. Is "Acheron" the model name? In which years were these made? Any estimation of current value would also be helpful.

I'm attempting to post some pics below. In case they don't come through, they may be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/83926545@N00/sets/72157594461632377/

Thank you very much.

View attachment 2171
View attachment 2172
View attachment 2173

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Birchwood, Welcome to the message board.
I can't tell you much more than you already know about your clock. Acheron is the model name. Tran Duy Ly's Gilbert book shows your clock circa 1891, in walnut or oak, one day strike, height 19 1/2 inches, 6 inch dial.
we are not allowed to give valuations on this board, but you could check for similar clocks on ebay for a guide as to value.
With the family history (which you should write down and keep with the clock), your clock is priceless to you (or should be).
Harold

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Birchwood and welcome to the Message Board!

You have a kitchen style mantel clock which was made by the Gilbert Clock Co. in the late 1880's to early 1890's. The model name is "Acheron", as you've discovered on the label on the back of your clock case, and as Harold mentions above.

Your clock is a 30 hour time, strike, and alarm. The case is made out of walnut. Everything looks original but your glass has lost its pattern and been wiped clean or it was broken and replaced. You are also missing the top 1/2 inch of your case which should come to a point.

A line drawing of your clock, from an 1891 catalog, appears in Tran Duy Ly's "Gilbert Clocks" book on page 327.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.